• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Audiophiles Annoy Me

Not that absolute perfection can ever be achieved, I don't think my 1960s Altec A7-500 speakers, or my tube amps from the same era, the single ended triode of which uses a tube design from 1933 would agree much with that statement. A more accurate way of looking at this would be that some designs and technologies stand the test of time much better than others. In the mid 1960s literally every audio manufacturer was damning the "junk" obsolete tube technology and were jumping on early transistor designs. While transistor designs are obviously still with us, very arguably the topology which they compare their sound to is that of vacuum tubes; its never the other way around.

Likewise, would you say that a 1956 Corvette convertible is obsolete junk? I'd sure like a bit of that junk!

My comment was more applicable to video than to audio. DVD was THE thing until Blu-Ray came out. Now 4K HDR greatly outshines Blu-Ray. Five or ten years from now, it will be something else.

My comment was more applicable to video than to audio. DVD was THE thing until Blu-Ray came out. Now 4K HDR greatly outshines Blu-Ray. Five or ten years from now, it will be something else.
Yes, video is an entirely different beast. I doubt that there will ever be a video technology which is even remembered, let alone stand the test of time. It isn't helped by all the proprietary "formats" which manufacturers dream up just to get market share. Is Dolby Vision really a unique necessity, or is it just a case of the Dolby dog having to get its piss on the fire hydrant like everybody else?

Not necessarily; already, my eyes cannot see the difference between bluray and 4K unless I'm a couple feet from the screen (HDR is a different story). I think we're near the point of no more visible improvement being discernible (no doubt the Industry will continue to try to upgrade us for a long time). We've already reached that point in Audio; the kids are going for less accurate sound (.mp3's) for the sake of convenience, and I doubt my old ears could hear much difference in audio quality (and as in HDR above, I'm sure I can hear improvements in audio "spread", with Atmos and other type improvements). FWIW.

I believe there will continue to be improvements in video quality but those improvements will have less to do with resolution. Who knows but maybe we'll see new tech that'll allow parallax/3D like effects without the glasses.

How big is your display?
At my previous job about 4 years ago, we were working with some of the first 4K 84" displays - at that size the difference between 1080p and 4K were very obvious. About the smallest 4K display I can see a difference with is about 45".

Not necessarily; already, my eyes cannot see the difference between bluray and 4K unless I'm a couple feet from the screen (HDR is a different story). I think we're near the point of no more visible improvement being discernible (no doubt the Industry will continue to try to upgrade us for a long time). We've already reached that point in Audio; the kids are going for less accurate sound (.mp3's) for the sake of convenience, and I doubt my old ears could hear much difference in audio quality (and as in HDR above, I'm sure I can hear improvements in audio "spread", with Atmos and other type improvements). FWIW.

I think the argument that mp3 being popular thus quality doesn't matter anymore is no longer valid. Just about everyone I know, especially the kids who first adopted mp3 understands the benefits of higher bit rates and are often buying turntables and LPs specifically to get better sound. The acceptance of low quality audio was a relatively short-lived thing.

At my previous job about 4 years ago, we were working with some of the first 4K 84" displays - at that size the difference between 1080p and 4K were very obvious. About the smallest 4K display I can see a difference with is about 45".
That's precisely why I want to know his display size. I don't know anyone with a 4K display size 50" and up who hasn't seen a fairly significant increase in PQ. And I really think Botch's is 50".

That's what she said...

My home display is 47". The two side-by-side displays I saw in Best Try were similar, maybe a bit bigger. I honestly couldn't see a difference from 8'~10' away, only when I moved up to about 2' away. My eyes suck, though; YMMV.
And, I wasn't aware that the younger had tired of mp3's; that's good news.

I can see the difference between HD and 4K content on my 75" Sony. 1080p still looks good, but 4K is noticeably sharper. The bigger difference is HDR, which looks incredible. I've only seen streamed HDR and I'm blown away (I don't plan to invest in another disc format, unless I can rip it to my NAS).

My thoughts on forums is there is always someone smarter than me and I chose to take all comments with an open mind and try to see it from the other person's perspective (prolly why I rarely get angry). When I first joined this group I knew next to nothing about home theatre and too everyone's advice and learned....... A lot. Granted I don't have golden ears but can distinguish between a MP3 encoded at 128 Kbps and one encoded at 320 Kbps anything higher than that and I can't distinguish at all. Hence why I don't encode anything at lossless because I just can't tell. Then you have the self proclaimed golden ears who claim they can hear a gnat fart at a 1000 yards. I say good for them and let them waste time and energy trying to get that indistinguishable .001% out of their music. As for me I'll still listen at either 256 Kbps streaming on iTunes or listen at 320 Kbps on my iPod and I'm happy.

I'm still a cunt but for other reasons.

I can see the difference between HD and 4K content on my 75" Sony. 1080p still looks good, but 4K is noticeably sharper. The bigger difference is HDR, which looks incredible. I've only seen streamed HDR and I'm blown away (I don't plan to invest in another disc format, unless I can rip it to my NAS).

Haywood my new Samsung has a HDR+ setting that adds HDR to all content which makes Directv, Vudu or Netflix look amazing. Haven't tried it with true 4K with HDR as I don't own anything and my internet speed is shit but the simulated HDR looks awesome.

My dad can beat up everyone at every other AV forum. They just suck, thats all.

Haywood my new Samsung has a HDR+ setting that adds HDR to all content which makes Directv, Vudu or Netflix look amazing. Haven't tried it with true 4K with HDR as I don't own anything and my internet speed is shit but the simulated HDR looks awesome.

My TV has a similar setting, but I ended up turning it off because it worked amazingly well with some content while producing artifacts with others. I did not notice it right away, but once I did, it drove me nuts.

I like the name, title, label, whatever you call it of being an audiophile or Hi-Fi Nut. However I have big tent philosophy, the AudioPhool's I just ignore most of the time. Dingleberrie's such as they are, I'm more of a tin than golden ear. Not fond of audio enthusiast as a label, sounds kind of PC to me, but thats just only MHO of course.

I try to follow the logic of audio guro's but digress when my ears tell me different. As in my love planer ribbon speakers, though I can greatly appreciate conventional speakers. In electronic components I prefer the ones that are a good value, have good build quality and are shiny, Paradigm Halo would be a good example.

I do vist other forums but tend to be more conservative in the topics I get into discussion sound wise.

With color issues in my eyes 1080 on 50 inch is not showing the artifacts. My eyes may not detect them as easily as other people will. Partially color bling on the red green.

As many as 8 percent of men and 0.5 percent of women with Northern European ancestry have the common form of red-green color blindness.

Back