• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

AVS Forum Dynaudio Thread

The point I'm trying to make is that if you have a subwoofer and it's set up correctly the low frequency sound
would come from all around you leading me to question the need for two subs. Surely just one larger sub would
suffice ?
As it relates strictly to output, you'd be correct. Bigger is almost always better. But there is a lot more to the reproduction of low frequencies than simply output, not the least of which is the linearity of those frequencies. Bigger often means louder but there's no guarantee of it being any smoother. That's where multiple subs in multiple locations come in.

I believe @Flint has posted some charts in the subwoofer section showing how up to 4 subs (one along each wall) have the ability to offer the smoothest bass response in a given room.

Reviving this thread because a real gem was posted over there the other day (note: by RCA, he was referring to digital coax):
I never tried the RCA out of the Zen simply because I do not own a decent cable, other than a generic one that comes with most streamers etc.
I do however, own a USB cable that I paid about as much as the Zen for, so I used it.
I never had any harshness or anything in my setup, maybe because I also attached about 20 ferrites to the USB cable, not sure.

The Zen in question is the $400 Zen Stream (which I am a bit interested in...)

I'm officially done discussing audio - or even trying to help others dispel misconceptions - anywhere but this forum.

I recently saw two people reference their "5.2" systems. For clarification, I asked where they were getting the ".2" from and they both said they had two subs. I explained, as politely as I could, how that's inaccurate if they're sending the same signal to both subs. Someone else half-heartedly defended me and said I was correct but "the masses generally regard the .x as the number of subs they have." Once again, I tried to explain that it was the number of discrete channels and that you can't add an additional center channel speaker and suddenly start claiming you have a 6.1.

The last straw was when yet another dude chimed in with "I see where you're going with this but the entire industry uses that number for the amount of locations and I know what I'm talking about because I design and install home theaters for a living."
They are wrong about the designation, but correct about way it usually gets used. I know that my family room system with three speakers and two subs is 3.1 with two subs, but when talking with people will often use 3.2 as shorthand (especially with people who don't know the difference).

Back