• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Back in the Day

I think if you are not really into high fidelity music, you just want a huge upgrade from a dinky soundbar and your criteria is that it will play loud with lots of punch, you could be quite happy with that setup.

I'm trying to understand what "5.0.2" means - is that "5 main, 0 sub/LFE, 2 atmos"? Although putting speakers on the top of the cabinet and calling them "atmos" is bit hinky. I wonder if it actually has separate inputs for those?

I'm trying to understand what "5.0.2" means - is that "5 main, 0 sub/LFE, 2 atmos"? Although putting speakers on the top of the cabinet and calling them "atmos" is bit hinky. I wonder if it actually has separate inputs for those?
I think it was Paradigm that also markets speakers like that. They should have separate inputs.

I mean, I understand the idea for budget and installation-conscious buyers; very few who spend $900 on a complete speaker system are going to put Atmos speakers in their ceiling. But it borders on false advertising, IMHO.

But the point is is that we as an audio Forum community that have been around for a little while. We get it, but the average Joe walking around Costco's, or Sam's, Walmart thinks oh WOW Klipsch under a thousand bucks, look at the size of those speakers and thinks he's on Top of the World

Then when you try and tell him that his speakers suck you are the bad guy

Yeah I understand. And as I said, I understand Klipsch's design choice here - practicality over "real" atmos. BUT - buyers should be aware what they're getting - or not getting. That's not quite the same as just telling them "your speakers suck." ;)

Cerwin Vega
"Loud Is Beautiful, As Long As It's Clean!" :toast:

My college roommate (and good friend since 1st grade) had those CVs, with a Pioneer receiver that was almost as big as my Rustang (he favored Mercury Cougars, and had 5 at one point). His favorite demo record was the Telarc "1812 Overture", with the real cannon shots. He had the stylus pressure dialed down pretty good, to keep the needle in the groove.
Good Times!

But the point is is that we as an audio Forum community that have been around for a little while. We get it, but the average Joe walking around Costco's, or Sam's, Walmart thinks oh WOW Klipsch under a thousand bucks, look at the size of those speakers and thinks he's on Top of the World

Then when you try and tell him that his speakers suck you are the bad guy
I agree. When I first started out I was lucky enough to have 3 honest to goodness audio/video stores, between them they helped me set up my first system. If it hadn't been for them I would have thought Costco's speakers were a dream come true.

Such a strange game this is. I bought a sound system with my first tax return. This was the heart of the system:
I still have it, it still works and sounds pretty damn good thru good speakers. I connected a transistor radio by the microjack and you could get WLS on a good night. This guy replaced the power capacitors on my Carver M1.0t amp a few years ago: http://www.sandhillsavionics.com/ I'd worked with him before so I knew he was a wizard. Back then, he was better and faster than the Carver refurb sites.

Foxman had a fine set of Klipsch speakers back in the S&V day. I liked them a lot. I sold my Polk 1.0's to fund my Mackie taste...

Last edited:
Back