• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Bass trap question

-B-

I have some standard acoustic panels that I intend to use in corners as bass traps. Is reaching floor to ceiling a necessity for them to work properly, or can they be short. Are there any negative results from using them in this configuration?

Optimum performance would be from floor to ceiling. However, they would still provide a substantial benefit.

My one bass trap dosen't go to the ceiling, and it made a big difference.

It is all about sheer volume of material. If floor to ceiling would be x cubic feet of content and short is x / 2.5 cubic feet of material, then the effectiveness will be at least 2.5x less than full height.

Not too complicated.

cool, just didn't want any negative effects. Placed a few and some temporary roughly placed panels and am already hearing the difference. Been a long time since I had some room treatments.

DIYer said:
-B- said:
Been a long time since I had some room treatments.
Will it mask the thumps coming from below? :shhh:

My guess, no. If it works like I'm accustomed to a bass trap working then the hits will be harder and tighter :happy-smileygiantred:

I've seen some graphs that show the results of what you are contemplating, on sites that compare corner traps to corner wedges. I am amazed at how effective the trap you are contemplating is. It works quite well... until you get down below 125Hz. Even 6" fiberglass fails to make a big difference in the lowest octave. Since I need a lot of help below 60Hz, I am building a wedge. In fact, I have the first empty wedge up and completed... I just need to buy the fiberglass to fill it with. I am quite excited!

milpool said:
I've seen some graphs that show the results of what you are contemplating, on sites that compare corner traps to corner wedges. I am amazed at how effective the trap you are contemplating is. It works quite well... until you get down below 125Hz. Even 6" fiberglass fails to make a big difference in the lowest octave. Since I need a lot of help below 60Hz, I am building a wedge. In fact, I have the first empty wedge up and completed... I just need to buy the fiberglass to fill it with. I am quite excited!

Considering what you have just said, I am amazed at the difference of what I've done just leaning 4 2x4 2" panels around the room.

How about some pictures?????

:banana-gotpics: :banana-gotpics: :banana-gotpics:

When it's proper treated I will post some. Right now they are huts kinda everywhere. I need to move my wall mounted pc monitor to treat the right side.

Back