• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Beats Studio by Dr. Dre

hummerdude

I had a chance to pick up some beats at 25% off yesterday at the Apple Store. I have 14 days to listen and return for full refund. Have any of you used these? I know the consensus here on Monster cables (extremely overpriced and poor quality) from the S&V forum (I posted as Kmorel there) but what about the studio headphones? I am interested in your opinions strictly based on accurate sound production. I noticed the Consumer Reports actually gave these headphones a decent rating.

i can buy them in China, the real ones - not knock-offs, for $15.

I find them unnatural sounding.

hummerdude said:
I had a chance to pick up some beats at 25% off yesterday at the Apple Store. I have 14 days to listen and return for full refund. Have any of you used these? I know the consensus here on Monster cables (extremely overpriced and poor quality) from the S&V forum (I posted as Kmorel there) but what about the studio headphones? I am interested in your opinions strictly based on accurate sound production. I noticed the Consumer Reports actually gave these headphones a decent rating.

Hey Kmorel or ahh......Hummerdude, good to see you and I'm glad you joined us.

I don't know a thing about the albums or headphones, sorry. But I wanted to say Hi and Welcome, we're glad you're here!

:handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

+1 Welcome! Glad you're here (and not just lurking anymore :laughing: ).

If you enjoy the sound of the "Beats", and the price was right, go for it!

Rope

Thanks for the info guys. The China price is about $200 less than what I paid. This is good to know. When I first tried these this morning, I could hear humming and distortion when plugged directly into my computer without music playing. My first impression was that the sound was muddy and I was not pleased, but they sounded better when I changed sources. I may experiment with these a little before I take them back.

Yes, I've tended to be more of a lurker lately but I always enjoy the comments and info here.

Rope said:
If you enjoy the sound of the "Beats", and the price was right, go for it!
Hummerdude, I'm inclined to echo Rope's advice. A thousand people could tell you Product A is the best and you should buy it. But if you don't like it, what's the point? And that's where Rope's advice comes in. If you're happy with their performance and you're pleased with the price you paid, you're golden!

However, in your OP, you said you were looking for input based on accurate sound reproduction. Admittedly, I don't have any experience with these headphones so understand what I'm about to say is only speculation. I would guess that these headphones are anything but accurate. I'd guess they're exciting and fun to listen to (which isn't a bad thing) and I'd even go so far as to say they probably sound good but fun, exciting and good are often times not associated with accurate. So if you want to experience accurate, you may want to consider other brands. If you simply want to enjoy what you hear through headphones, you may already have it.

As a disclaimer - before anyone jumps my shit and accuses me of saying accurate sound and enjoyable sound are mutually exclusive - that's not what I'm saying. I just think that accurate is more of an acquired taste. You have to learn to appreciate it. Then, and only then, does it become enjoyable. Because if you're used to exciting, artifical, enhanced sound, going straight to accurate will seem dull, boring and lifeless by comparison.

Some people find accurate/natural sounding speakers/headphones to be flat and lifeless. The same holds true with dynamic, or uncompressed recordings.

I think the best way to find your personal preferance is by listening to as many brand/models as possible. When you find the "perfect" sound, regardless of how others may interpret the sound or classification of sound you prefer, you have arrived.

The hunt is 50% of the fun and excitement, so take your time and make the choice YOU prefer. This prevents buyers remorse, and empty bank accounts.

Rope

Rope said:
I think the best way to find your personal preferance is by listening to as many brand/models as possible.

Rope

Great advice. The sucky part is that it's very difficult to find a shop that carries the top headphone brands with models in the $200+ range. The best option is to seek Head-Fi meets and attend. The second best option is to spend 20+ hours searching and reading Head-Fi to get a good idea of which headphones might match ones particular taste.

...but I know you're already aware of this Rope, just some input to the OP.

GreatDane said:
Rope said:
I think the best way to find your personal preferance is by listening to as many brand/models as possible.

Rope

Great advice. The sucky part is that it's very difficult to find a shop that carries the top headphone brands with models in the $200+ range. The best option is to seek Head-Fi meets and attend. The second best option is to spend 20+ hours searching and reading Head-Fi to get a good idea of which headphones might match ones particular taste.

...but I know you're already aware of this Rope, just some input to the OP.

Headphone meet is an excellent idea, where you can find one good quality (same) HP amp to audition all the phones. And you can listen to different HP's till the cows come home.

Rope

*EDIT*

Leave you credit cards and cash at home! :happy-smileygiantred:

*DOUBLE EDIT*

Better yet, just go nekkid, that way you won't be tempted to trade clothing or jewelry for gear. :eek:

Thanks to all for the excellent links and advice. There is obviously a lot to learn and much of the fun is in the search.

Back