• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Been Throtted

Funny how you see all those W7 commercials with the tag line "to the cloud" when people don't realize the Cloud could cost you if you go over usage fees. I also have a feeling that AT&T is way off as far as average usage per month goes (18GB? Really?).

And if I was that guy in Seattle, I sure as hell wouldn't be paying my IP if they cut me off for a whole year. That's just bullshit.

Yesfan70 said:
I also have a feeling that AT&T is way off as far as average usage per month goes (18GB? Really?)

I use much more than 18GB but my family usage is hardly typical. I bet the average IS much lower than you think. I have friends and neighbors that use their high speed connections for not much more than email, the occasional YouTube video, and a Netflix movie or two.

Towen7 said:
Yesfan70 said:
I also have a feeling that AT&T is way off as far as average usage per month goes (18GB? Really?)

I use much more than 18GB but my family usage is hardly typical. I bet the average IS much lower than you think. I have friends and neighbors that use their high speed connections for not much more than email, the occasional YouTube video, and a Netflix movie or two.
That's me, minus the Netflix movie or two... (and I've never downloaded music).

Just out of curiosity, how large is the typical movie on Netflix? I remember doing marathons of Arrested Development. I also download a lot of concerts in Flac too (audio only).

Netflix HD streams top-out at about 1.71 Gb/hr.

250Gb cap divided by 1.71Gb/hour = 147.4 hours of HD streaming per month
147.4 hours per month divided by 30 days = 4.9 hours per day to reach the 250Gb cap.

Towen7 said:
Netflix HD streams top-out at about 1.71 Gb/hr.

250Gb cap divided by 1.71Gb/hour = 147.4 hours of HD streaming per month
147.4 hours per month divided by 30 days = 4.9 hours per day to reach the 250Gb cap.

Thanks, but for those without Uverse (like me) that's more like 2.9 hours a day. DSL only customers only get 150GB per month I think.

Yeah... The major ISPs are also television providers so it's not in their best intrest to make it desirable to get 100% of your TV content from another source. That said network congestion is a real issue for the ISPs, especially on legacy platforms like ADSL and cable. Uverse Is VDSL and uses an entirely different transport system

Back