• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Best App for Converting WMAL to MP3?

Haywood

Famous
I want to create a high quality copy of my lossless music library in mp3 format for portable use. Can anyone suggest a good tool for doing that?

First, do you want to replace your current files with MP3 versions or do you want to make MP3 copies? And secondly, is converting them within Windows but using a higher bit rate like 192kHz somehow insufficient?

I do this...

I plug in the device I want to put the music on.
I turn on Windows Media Player.
I go into the settings for the device in MWP.
I choose the format and quality I want to synchronize onto that device.
I drag all the music I want on that device into that device via WMP.
I hit the sync button and all the WML files are magically converted into whatever format I chose as they are copied to the device.

That way my large capacity devices can have higher quality 256kbps formats and my smaller capacity devices can have lower quality 128kbps formats.

AND... all the files on my computer remain the same and I don't need to manage multiple copies of everything.

Nifty, eh?

The problem is that I cannot figure out how to get WMP to load my thumb drive with MP3 instead WMA. My daughter's BD player can read MP3, but not WMA. I want to load up a 32GB thumb drive with some nice 320kb MP3 files for her. There are other applications for which having a directory of ready-made MP3 formatted files would be handy, which is why I was thinking about creating a second music directory with MP3 versions.

Back