• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Bezel Wars

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
Started leafing thru the Crutchfield catalog I got today, and Samsung now has new TVs, 46"/55"/60", that have bezels less than 3/4" wide!
A TV that's only 1" thick is cool, I guess, but when you're watching it you can't see how thick it is. Having a very thin bezel, on the other hand, would look mahvelous! May have to swing by BB tomorrow after work.
My last TV lasted me twelve years, and my new set I bought a year ago, so I won't be upgrading anytime soon (if ever). Still, its cool to watch the new innovations. :music-rockout:

I agree that a bezel-less design would impress me more than an ultra-thin panel.

The picture seems to appear out of the air. The Samsung panels ROCK, however, the latest reviews report the screen back lighting to be uneven.

Rope

Yeah, even backlighting from the edges seems to be a tough nut to crack. I'd recently read that they're working on individually local-dimming LEDs (one LED per LCD "lens"), that will be impressive.

now THAT would be amazing.

i also got my crutchfield mag and saw that... it makes me want to get another tv.

but since i got mine just recently (i think two years old already), im keeping it for now.

altho my pj doesnt get much love, im glad i still have her even if shes 720p...

Which specific models were you looking at? I haven't been in the market for a TV in a while (and when I bought mine I was looking for middle-of-the-road from a cost/performance perspective).

jomari said:
now THAT would be amazing.

i also got my crutchfield mag and saw that... it makes me want to get another tv.

but since i got mine just recently (i think two years old already), im keeping it for now.

altho my pj doesnt get much love, im glad i still have her even if shes 720p...

I see nothing wrong with 720p.

Rope

I don't see anything wrong with 720p, either. However, I see 1080p as being clearly better when discussing front projectors. My 720p projector looks good until I see a 1080p in action. There is no mistaking the difference.

John

Rope said:
I see nothing wrong with 720p.
Rope

yromj said:
I don't see anything wrong with 720p, either. However, I see 1080p as being clearly better when discussing front projectors. My 720p projector looks good until I see a 1080p in action. There is no mistaking the difference.

John

one major reason why i am devoiding myself of such. its like blu-ray, once you've seen and realize how beautiful it is compared to standard definition, its pretty much harder to go back.

also a major reason why my pj dont get much love, is the fact that i dont have a dedicated HT room nor was able to set her up right. in the previous apt we lived in, i was able to mount it on the ceiling. in the current house, we just use it on top of a bookshelf, and even break one of the immaculate rules - keystoning, excessively due to the wall (its an old wall, and well, it aint straight.)

if i had the choice, i saw someone have a rear projector, and it was on a smaller screen, it looks sexy in his posh modern setting living room.

*edited post yromj comment...

jomari said:
...in the current house, we just use it on top of a bookshelf, and even break one of the immaculate rules - horizontal and vertical shifting, excessively due to the wall (its an old wall, and well, it aint straight.)...
Lens shift isn't NEARLY as bad as keystoning.

John

yromj said:
jomari said:
...in the current house, we just use it on top of a bookshelf, and even break one of the immaculate rules - horizontal and vertical shifting, excessively due to the wall (its an old wall, and well, it aint straight.)...
Lens shift isn't NEARLY as bad as keystoning.

John

i stand corrected. edited original posting... :violence-torch:

I want a bezel, or something dark gray or black around the image. Then the image colors and brightness will look more accurate. With that neutral colorless frame, the image will appear scewed in tint away from whatever color the wall is. A red wall will make the image look blueish green, and so on.

That said, in the digital signage world there are completely bezel free screens designed for stacking up against each other to make video walls. Cool stuff, but costly.

Back