• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Big Honkin' Canton versus Dynaudio Contour S5.4

• Thread starter Deleted member 133
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 133

Folks,

Earlier this week I found myself back in Hamburg Germany.

As I might have mentioned somewhere on the other site, there's a great chain store called "Saturn" that sells electronics, software, etc. Think of BB with a much broader range of quality goods - and many times larger in size.

The last time I was there I spent some time listening to a pair of K-horns in their high-end demo room - compared to a variety of similar and higher priced speaker systems. I had the room to myself for at least an hour - with not even a salesperson to disturb me. I was literally swapping cables to choose the combo that I wanted to try out.

Well this year the room was still there but the lineup had changed. I still had the place to myself but this time I spent the time swapping cables between a big honkin' pair of Canton speakers and a pair of Dynaudio Contour S5.4s.

The pictures below were taken with my cheap cell phone. Unfortunately it did not properly resolve the card displaying the info for both speakers so I don't know the exact model number for the Cantons. I checked their web site and nothing there matches. They were not cheap: 10,000EUR each - versus 4,600 each for the Dyns.

I gotta say while the Cantons impressed the heck out of me (size has that effect!) the Dyns pretty much held their own - especially in the low bass. I'd take the Cantons if offered the choice (for free) but I doubt that I'd pay the difference if I had to. Well ok, if I had it kicking around, with nothing better to spend it on, then maybe I would.

Jeff

Attachments

• 04-04-11_1748.jpg
    04-04-11_1748.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 637
  • 04-04-11_1749.jpg
    04-04-11_1749.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 637
  • 04-04-11_1752.jpg
    04-04-11_1752.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 637
  • 04-04-11_1755.jpg
    04-04-11_1755.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 637
  • 04-04-11_1756.jpg
    04-04-11_1756.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 637
Wow, not too many things make 5.4's look small... :eek: Interesting cabinet design, too. Sounds like a fun opportunity!

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics and mini review Jeff. Interesting shape for the Canton, I check out a lot of the hi-fi mags some of them from the UK and have never seen that one before. I do however recognize the Elac brand with the mushroom shaped super tweeter on top, the white speaker to the right is also by them. Did you get a chance to listen to them also, the make some cool ribbon tweeters.

Can someone explain or direct me to a site where the calf-level tweeters on the Dynaudios is explained?

Botch, if you - AHEM! - were to come to a certain GTG, you'd get a chance to see+hear these for yourself... :eusa-whistle:

I said, not much makes those Dyns look small - but the tweeters are more like thigh-waist level as the speakers are probably close to 5' tall. My guess is they're put there so that when you're seated, the tweets are around head level.

TitaniumTroy said:
Thanks for taking the time to post the pics and mini review Jeff. Interesting shape for the Canton, I check out a lot of the hi-fi mags some of them from the UK and have never seen that one before. I do however recognize the Elac brand with the mushroom shaped super tweeter on top, the white speaker to the right is also by them. Did you get a chance to listen to them also, the make some cool ribbon tweeters.

I didn't listen to the Elac's this year, but they had three pairs on display last year and I gave them a quick listen. I don't recall being either overly impressed nor disappointed by their sound: clear and open in the top end; a little thin down low. I remember looking over their web site after I heard them - so they at least made me curious to know more about them. But the real feature last year was the K-horns. I've only heard them a few times in my life so I did not want to miss the chance. THEY impress me!

Jeff

lulimet said:
What was the price of the Dynaudios there?

4600 euro's. Right on par with us. We are at $5k each.

There was discussion on the old forum regarding the tweeter on the bottom, if I remember correctly its aesthetic and the crossover design is different to compensate.

Back