• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Blu-ray disc type questions

• Thread starter Deleted member 133
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 133

Is there any easy way to tell if a given commercial Blu-ray disc is a 25GB single-layer or a 50GB dual-layer?

I've only got a couple of dozen Blu-ray discs in my collection and when I look at the recorded (ie. non-label) side, held up to a backlight, on some (mostly older concert videos) I see "BVSS" - which I assume means single layer - and on others (mostly new release movies) I see "BVDL" - which I assume means dual layer. True?

On quite a few there's no such lettering that would give one a clue as to what type of disc it is.

But my guess is that just about all new releases (movies at least) are being issued on 50GB dual-layer discs. Would you agree?

Jeff

The only way I know is to load a few discs in a PC with a Bluray drive, and see how big the discs are in Windows Explorer. I'm guessing discs with more than 25GB of data will have the BVDL designation on it.

There was some method to the madness of the question that I posed nearly six months ago.

I was looking to invest in a Blu-ray burner and a supply of blank media and wanted to get the mix of available blank discs rights.

I went ahead and did so on the assumption that most Blu-rays would be of the 50GB variety and my experience to date bears this out.

The burner? The excellent DIGISTOR DG-79102 External USB 2.0 portable unit. Highly highly recommended. It has a built-in rechargeable battery (no power line of its own) and operates off one or two USB ports. (With two ports, and the computer plugged into external power it will recharge itself while running forever; off one port it will run out of juice, if used continuously, after several hours. If your portable is itself running off battery power alone, the unit's own internal battery greatly extends playing time of the whole system. I can easily do a feature film, possibly two, before needing to recharge.)

By using AnyDVD HD in concert with ImgBurn software I can easily make perfect copies of my Blu-rays to take and play when I'm travelling. At an incremental cost of $4 for a blank 50GB disc (also DIGISTOR brand) it's a great hedge against loss, damage or theft of your original Blu-ray discs.

And as I move into recording my own 1080p home movies, I can easily turn those into universally-playable Blu-rays.

Back