• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Blue tooth and main zone

Nufan

My wife is turning the big 4-0! I have a Marantz sr6008 which does not have blue tooth. I am looking for a way to have music playing through the main speakers AND blue tooth speakers out in the backyard. What is the best/least expensive way to achieve this?

If it makes a difference; pandora will most likely be playing throughout the night.

Thank you!

Chromecast Audio is a good affordable option. It is not Bluetooth, though. You have to plug the device into whatever you want to play the music on. The cool thing is that you can control it from any phone and can great zones for synchronized playback. They work very well. I've had no complaints with mine.

Yeah I think Haywood has got the solution I would use. I have 2 Chromecast Audios and I like them quite a bit. I think they're around $35 each. One downside is they have to be connected vie 3.5mm or toslink to your speaker, which probably isn't an issue for your main speakers but could be with whatever bluetooth speakers you are using in the backyard. However, if your bluetooth speakers have an AUX in this should work well. The second downside that I would mention is that they would have extra wires showing and requires a separate outlet to plug it in for power. But if you can live with that I think it's a great choice as they function and sound really great for the price.

They can also work with an optical cable, which is how mine is connected to my main system. If your speaker has a USB port, it might run off of that for power. Consumption is pretty low. You might also want to experiment with the Google Home mini, which can now make a Bluetooth connection to another speaker. It may be possible to connect your Bluetooth speaker to the Home, which can then act as part of your Chromecast network. I am NOT sure this will work, but you could probably poke around online and find out.

I was thinking of using the Ultimate Ears Wonderboom since Costco has a 2 pack for $110 i think

Chromecast Audio is a good affordable option. It is not Bluetooth, though. You have to plug the device into whatever you want to play the music on. The cool thing is that you can control it from any phone and can great zones for synchronized playback. They work very well. I've had no complaints with mine.

So, the chromecast audio would "pair" with my receiver, which is wired internet, and play the same Pandora as it?

We have been using the JBL Charge 3 for our patio sound. I picked up a refurbished unit for $99 on amazon.

It is working well and the battery life is fantastic!

We have been using the JBL Charge 3 for our patio sound. I picked up a refurbished unit for $99 on amazon.

It is working well and the battery life is fantastic!

I assume you like it? One is enough for a backyard? I haven't heard them; I have heard the UE Boom a few years ago and was impressed, but I'm open to suggestions. I would like it to be waterproof/resistant (I am in Oregon!) and stay around $100

So, the chromecast audio would "pair" with my receiver, which is wired internet, and play the same Pandora as it?

No. It plugs into your stereo like any other source component. It streams music from Google Home, PC and mobile devices.

No. It plugs into your stereo like any other source component. It streams music from Google Home, PC and mobile devices.

Sorry...so I would plug it into my receiver and it would cast what is playing to the speakers.

I assume you like it? One is enough for a backyard? I haven't heard them; I have heard the UE Boom a few years ago and was impressed, but I'm open to suggestions. I would like it to be waterproof/resistant (I am in Oregon!) and stay around $100

Yes, very much so. It is totally waterproof, we have a large open backyard and it cranks pretty loud. We stream from our phones and tablets.

Flint demoed his when he visited a few months ago, decision was made..............

I have this plugged into my receiver. I use it mainly for the DOT to stream. On the patio the speakers are hard wired from the receiver. As long as I select that zone music plays. I also have my phone and tablet paired to it. So as long as I connect one of those and disconnect the DOT, I stream from selected device. I know it would work from the amp, just not sure about the BT speakers on your porch. Right now it shows $27 w/Prime.

715pMtaM1%2BL._SL1000_.jpg

I use my Amazon Echo Dots plugged into all sorts of speakers around my home and on my rear porch. They work great for playing internet radio or from my Amazon music collection or my Amazon Music Unlimited subscription. I can pair one to my phone and play music off my phone, but they won't do multi-room via my phone.

I have been using the JBL Charge 3 for about 18 months and love it. That's why I proposed it for Heeman's needs. It is great. I used it as the only speaker at a large outdoor pool party on St. Maarten last Summer with about 40 people in attendance and it worked perfectly for that purpose. I just placed it high on a window sill so it wouldn't be blocked by everyone's bodies and the sound would carry.

I use my Amazon Echo Dots plugged into all sorts of speakers around my home and on my rear porch. They work great for playing internet radio or from my Amazon music collection or my Amazon Music Unlimited subscription. I can pair one to my phone and play music off my phone, but they won't do multi-room via my phone.

I have been using the JBL Charge 3 for about 18 months and love it. That's why I proposed it for Heeman's needs. It is great. I used it as the only speaker at a large outdoor pool party on St. Maarten last Summer with about 40 people in attendance and it worked perfectly for that purpose. I just placed it high on a window sill so it wouldn't be blocked by everyone's bodies and the sound would carry.

Have you heard the Riva Turbo X?

For me, one of the main selling points for the JBL Charge 3 wasn't just the sound (which is good, though a touch on the bassy side - see my thread on it). What I love is the massively huge battery which allows it to run all day long at high SPLs without a charger. It can also power my phone from the battery while playing, so I can get a long listening time anywhere without a wall charger.

You can also get two or three and synchronize them together for more speakers in a given space - within the range of the Bluetooth signal.

It just struck me! Took a while, but I came around.
I need a Bluetooth transmitter for my receiver and decent Bluetooth speaker(s). I hope I can transmit a source and simultaneously play through my wired stereo speakers?

For me, one of the main selling points for the JBL Charge 3 wasn't just the sound (which is good, though a touch on the bassy side - see my thread on it). What I love is the massively huge battery which allows it to run all day long at high SPLs without a charger. It can also power my phone from the battery while playing, so I can get a long listening time anywhere without a wall charger.

You can also get two or three and synchronize them together for more speakers in a given space - within the range of the Bluetooth signal.

Ever heard of someone using two as rear channels in 5.1 set up?

Back