• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

blueray audio

nats

has anyone owned a music dvd in sd then heard the same in blue ray audio? just wondering if there was a noticable sound quality diffrence that would be worth 20-25$ for a blueray concert that i already own in dvd

The only Bluray audio disk I have is Tom Petty's new one. I was hoping it would include a "digital copy" like half the movies I buy, but it doesn't.

I haven't heard a difference between Bluray and DVD concerts yet, but I can easily SEE a difference...

Well, I'm pre-ordering Bonamassa's Live at Royal Albert Hall which is coming out in BD in a few weeks, we'll see if that's substantially different...

nats said:
has anyone owned a music dvd in sd then heard the same in blue ray audio? just wondering if there was a noticable sound quality diffrence that would be worth 20-25$ for a blueray concert that i already own in dvd
The short answer is - it depends.

The audio format will likely dictate whether there'll be an improvement or not. If it's a 16/24, DD or DTS lossy track, it probably won't sound any better but it will almost assuredly look better. However, if it's a 16/48, TrueHD or DTS HD-MA lossless track, I'd bet you'd hear an improvement ranging from slight to significant.

PaulyT said:
Well, I'm pre-ordering Bonamassa's Live at Royal Albert Hall which is coming out in BD in a few weeks, we'll see if that's substantially different...
let me know how they compare

It's been a few years, but I remember Tee demoing a Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds Bluray for me when visiting him in Atlanta. He would go back between Dolby lossless to Dolby Digital. To me, the audio was a night and day difference and the video was simply stunning.

So for me, I have to agree with Zing. I think a lot has to do how the Bluray was transferred. In my experience, I think the Dave Matthews show is worth the extra coin over the DVD version, but I could see some other Bluray concerts falling short just like with some DVD concerts.

Yesfan70 said:
It's been a few years, but I remember Tee demoing a Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds Bluray for me when visiting him in Atlanta. He would go back between Dolby lossless to Dolby Digital. To me, the audio was a night and day difference and the video was simply stunning.

So for me, I have to agree with Zing. I think a lot has to do how the Bluray was transferred. In my experience, I think the Dave Matthews show is worth the extra coin over the DVD version, but I could see some other Bluray concerts falling short just like with some DVD concerts.

On the majority of Blu-ray transfers the difference between Dolby Digital 5.1/DTS and Dolby True HD/DTS HD Master Audio is subtle at best, although there's always exceptions. I own Master and Commander DTS and the BD lossless version, (one of the few times I've double dipped) I prefer the lossy version.

Rope

Back