• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

BluRay Player Suggestions?

lakedmb

Since, I am finally moving into the BluRay market I am in search of a player. There seemed to be a lot of talk about the Sony 570, but since that was last years model I am having some trouble tracking one down. The Sony 580 is out now, but seems a little steep around $179-199.

I have looked at the Sony 470/480 and the only difference that I am seeing is the built-in WiFi. Depending on how the interface is compared to the TV's I may use the player for Netflix as well.

Any thoughts on Samsung players?

Any suggestions for a player would be great. Thanks.

I have two Samsung players. The models numbers escape my memory at the moment but one is a mid-line model from about a couple of years ago. The other is a higher end model I bought about 6 months ago because it supported Netflix and Hulu+. My only gripe is what seems like slow load times. The new one is muuuch faster but I wish it were more so. I'd buy a Samsung polayer without hesitation. They deserve consideration at least.

Checkout cnet.com for good reviews.

Just stick with the major players and shoot for built in wifi. I have a Samsung, would buy a Sony or Panasonic as my other choices. The Oppo is nice too, but I think you can find a stronger feature set in the others for less money.

I would really push you to get the built in wi-fi... if you don't have it now you may sometime and it's a feature that I really like having.

I bought same one as Flint's (Sony BDP-S570) on ebay for $106 new including shipping. Can't complain about the features and performance for the price. I used to have Oppo BDP-80 but sold it due to my personal issues with the remote control.

So the built-in wifi makes a difference? Will it help with automatic updates?

I have seen some complaints with both the sony and samsung about the Netflix interface. Have you guys noticed any issues with Netflix?

Built in wifi is nice if you dont have a physical connection for updates or streaming services. I had a couple of instances of the wifi dropping its connection so Ive been using an ethernet over powerline connection in the living room with zero problems. Also, I have no complaints about the Neflix interface. My Roku has the best interface but the Samsung isn't much different. Some people will always find something to complain about. Take reviews, especially non-professional reviews, with a grain of salt.

Towen7 said:
Built in wifi is nice if you dont have a physical connection for updates or streaming services. I had a couple of instances of the wifi dropping its connection so Ive been using an ethernet over powerline connection in the living room with zero problems. Also, I have no complaints about the Neflix interface. My Roku has the best interface but the Samsung isn't much different. Some people will always find something to complain about. Take reviews, especially non-professional reviews, with a grain of salt.

:text-+1:

My Samsung players Netflix interface is just fine. Between the PS3, Roku, Samsung they all work very much the same. I think the XBOX Netflix interface is the slickest, but it's not like it operates much differently that the others.

bought an insignia from best buy a couple months back, best 89 bucks ive ever spent.

- wifi built in
- pandora
- netflix
- cinemanow on demand (some wierd streaming service)
- supports avi files.

So I ended up purchasing the Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BluRay player. So far I am extremely pleased with it.

Seems to have all the bells and whistles as some higher priced players including 3D and Wi-Fi.

Thanks for all of the help!

My Elite Kuro plasma has better upconversion than the PS3 anyway, so I've never used player or preamp conversion. That would be a waste of money to pay for it. DVDs look great!

Back