• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

BMG music club discs?

Towen7

Staff member
Is there a difference in the quality of discs produced by the old BMG music club?

I noticed two copies of the same disc at a used music store. One had a box printed disclaiming that it was made by BMG under license from Atlantic. If I had to guess, I'd say that since it's digital that there should be no difference.

Towen7 said:
Is there a difference in the quality of discs produced by the old MG music club?

I noticed two copies of the same disc at a used music store. One had a box printed disclaiming that it was made by BMG under license from Atlantic. If I had to guess, I'd say that since it's digital that there should be no difference.

Seems I read years back that the BMG presses used different masters than the actual studio releases, but I don't see how that can be true. I have a couple of discs that were from BMG and the other from your run of the mill studio. I couldn't tell the difference. The only difference I saw was the BMG disclaimer in place of the barcode on the back side of the jewel case.

I think I posted a thread about this on S&V years back....if I find it, I'll post a link.

Good question. I learned that one particular distributor, Pickwick, would release CDs that, while they sounded okay, couldn't play all the way through, had stutters, etc. But that was decades ago.

I asked this very question a few years ago on the other boards. It was the general consesus that they are NOT different. I'm not convinced of that fact but several people seemed to think that's the case. So maybe I'm just a paranoid, neurotic, suspicious, cynical bastard.

I bought the non-BMG edition but this particular shop had quite a few BMG discs. I may never run into the situation again but I'm curious. Maybe I'll go back tomorrow and buy the BMG copy and do a blind test.

I think I still have a few of my BMG discs and possibly non-BMG copies (one of my George Harrison albums comes to mind). I wonder if ripping the discs will tell you anything as dB Poweramp displays the CRC numbers for each track.

I don't know why I don't just google this stuff...

I turns out this is (or was) a pretty hotly debated topic. Based on 30 whole seconds of research I'm going to say that the data on the disc is the same, but that the club discs may have a lower quality disc material, case, or liner notes. I guess the next question is whether the quality of the disc material can compromise sound.

On second thought... I just don't care. I'll buy the original if it's available and the club copy if that's all there is.

Towen7 said:
I bought the non-BMG edition but this particular shop had quite a few BMG discs. I may never run into the situation again but I'm curious. Maybe I'll go back tomorrow and buy the BMG copy and do a blind test.
Is it just me, or is anyone else seeing a new "MackwoodChallenge" in half the threads posted anymore? :p

Botch said:
Towen7 said:
Is it just me, or is anyone else seeing a new "MackwoodChallenge" in half the threads posted anymore? :p

I am just reading this thread, Botch and sick minds must think a like......

Let's have a Mackwood Challenge!

I asked Jeff after the Tom Sawyer Challange if he thought the results would have been the same if the Challange was "What CD sounds the Best" Instead of which CD has the best "Dynamic Impact"????

Who knows...............

Towen7 said:
Is there a BMG edition of Tom Sawyer?
You owe me a new keyboard, dammit! :angry-tappingfoot:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Just brought half a glass of single malt up through my nose!

From the first post I was all over this.

Jeff

About 7 years ago all of my BMG discs had the printed side become sticky and one actually ruined my old Oppo player. When I checked my other BMG discs (all purchased in the early-90s) they were all at least a little bit sticky on the label side. As such, I have since replaced all of them with the retail label versions.

I had no idea there was a difference in the disks. I will have to check my BMG disks and see if any of them are going bad. I don't really listen to cd's much any more.

Back