• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Bob Marley headphones?

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
When I was at CES I stumbled across a rather large booth trying to give the impression of being very earth friendly, green, laid-back, and really in touch with nature. All of the walls were covered with what looked like unfinished fine wood. There were real plants in planters all around the place, and the seating was so very casual and inviting. It was like I had stumbled into an extremely well maintained hut in the a jungle with Bob Marley's calming music playing in the background.

On display in this casual, happy & relaxed hut of a booth were many, many headphones. They all had wood looking outer shells and appeared to be all natural. When I finally came to grips with the experience, I noticed Bob Marley's name carved and burned into the wood all around the booth. This was a headphone company (there were hundreds of them) promoting their product on the back of the Bob Marley name. Hmm... that seemed wrong to me.

As I looked at their products, I noticed that every single retail package had the words "Made in China" on it. So, Bob Marley is promoting cheap Chinese made headphones that happen to look like they were carved out of driftwood and fallen jungle trees in the carribean? That really doesn't seem right to me.

I did listen to the over the ear models they were showing, and I didn't particularly like them, though they were not the worst headphones I heard at CES. They pretty much fit into the middle of the pack of cheap chinese made headphones in terms of sound quality.

What do you guys think? Like me, do you think it is contradictory of Marley's character and legacy to be hawking cheap chinese labor produced headphones?

Here's an interesting story about his financial legacy:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/trialandhei ... is-legacy/

I think I am going to have to agree. I feel it should not be allowed because the person is passed away. His estate should not be allowed to use his name to sell products produced after his death that he is not able to endorse.

Same would be true for tapes release from concerts with bands having members who have passed on. How is anyone to know if they agreed with this release and did it meet their standard for their performances. Maybe they did not want those tapes released. Michael Jackson, This is it tour is a good example again. Seeing the practice sessions and the tapes for review and building a show.

I tell bands to record their shows to review the performances and improve them with review and practice. Without the tape an artist cannot see what really happened on stage. How it sounded and how it looked. There is many times that they come off stage feeling it was great, but they find in reviewing the tape they want to change things.

I think it's totally wrong to use his name (or any dead persons name) for promotion.

Did you by chance come across the new Paradigm Shift earbuds there?

Yes, I did see Pardigm Shift at the show. The booth babes did not know if they were associated with the Paradigm speaker brand. I didn't like their sound.

Flint said:
Yes, I did see Pardigm Shift at the show. The booth babes did not know if they were associated with the Paradigm speaker brand. I didn't like their sound.

bummed to hear that. :cry:

Don't get me wrong.... With the hundreds of new heaphone brands entering the market these days, they all sound pretty much the same - as if they are not truly focused on perfection. Thre were already abouta dozen amazing headphone brands out there which were, indeed, focused on being as close to perfect as possible. They were less about "sonic signature" and more about hearing what is in the original recording. Now we have a massive market for headphones as upgrades to the cheap throw-away earbuds included with phones and MP3 players. This market is being addressed with specific goals, status through looks and a sound which is more exciting than the typical OEM earbuds that come free with mobile devices.

The Paradigm Shift in ear phones were not terrible at all. They were just another average quality device in a sea of average quality devices. I don't understand this market. Either do something extraordinary or just fit into the middle of the road with the rest of the world and hope your brand or you image gets people to buy.

It is sad, really. There are WAY too many brands out there and few can be auditioned before purchase. Most of it is junk, some of it is decent, and none of it blows away the well established brands which have dominated the market for 40 years.

Why anyone would get excited about any of these new headphones over the incredible products from AKG, Shure, Westone, Etymotic, Sennheiser, Grado, Beyer Dynamic, Sony, Audio Techica, Koss, and such, is a mystery to me. Does anyone really think that some new startup is really going to completely change the world when those brands have been seriously innovating since the 70's?

Did you happen to watch 24/7 on HBO about the Flyers Rangers Winter Classic game? Most of the players sported Beats....marketing junk is the American way and those with the money are showing the rest of the world that it's quality when in real life it's the opposite.

I also noticed on the Shift site the powered monitor setup to be used by it's lonesome :?

Razz said:
I think it's totally wrong to use his name (or any dead persons name) for promotion.

Did you by chance come across the new Paradigm Shift earbuds there?

So they should stop selling Les Paul guitars?

I have no problem with the use of a deceased person's name connected to a product providing they were in support of it before they died.

I'm pretty sure that is NOT the case with the Bob Marley headphones. Heck I was hoping they included a free spliff with the headphones - that would definitely improve their performance. :eek:bscene-smokingred:

Flint wrote:
"Like me, do you think it is contradictory of Marley's character and legacy to be hawking cheap chinese labor produced headphones?"

As a long-time Bob Marley fan, and collector of his music, I definitely agree with you, Flint.

Sounds as if someone has 'sold out' , , , A definite dishonor to his name and legacy

You guys would all be singing a different song if your last name was Marley. :eek:bscene-buttred:

Of course it's all about the marketing these day's, just set your brand apart from the rest of the flock with whomever your equipment is associated with. Forget the technology or the quality, and just keep drinking
the KooLAid.

In the past Bose made their marketing first philosophy work for them. Now I wonder if they will have to update their advertising? By association with some type of celebrity, to keep up with a younger
demographic.

Hey aren't those the headphones that WON the shootout posted in the previous thread's link?

Think so.

D

Money talks, bullshit walks, and water seeks its level. The trustee of the Marley Estate could shed light on the headphone deal.

Many artist's make more money (their estate) after their expiration, than they did when living.

Rope

Back