• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Bohemian Rhapsody, by... Pink!

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
I'm not really familiar with Pink. I clicked on the Comcast concert channel Palladia this afternoon, and her band was just starting BR. I was quite impressed, best cover I've heard of that song. Don't think it was pre-recorded as I heard just a couple "off" notes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRLwsr_j2S4[/youtube]

I've heard of Pink, but am not too familiar. That's a good version, though, I agree. Takes guts to cover that particular song, being such a classic and so well known.

Biggest compliment I can give her is she didn't screw it up...and that's saying something. :eusa-clap:

PaulyT said:
I've heard of Pink, but am not too familiar.
She pulled it off well in that video. BTW, wanna know how she's came up with that name?

She dose pack some muscle though.
amd_pink.jpg

mmm....Eh. Not really wowed, sorry. To me it felt rushed and hurried at times, but the "Galileo" part was really good. That surprised me.

Well, they played it exactly how it appears on the record - a perfect cover band with no attempts to "interpret" what Queen did. That shows a lack of creativity.

Inversely, this is just what happens when you become such a huge star that you can afford to hire some of the best musicians in the world to go on tour with you. Musicians at this level can play pretty much anything you ask them to play, and these people nailed it. The singing was stunning, but I get the impression Autotune was assisting them. Still, it is impressive.

Pink, she sang the easiest parts and just wandered around the stage using her attractive face as a prop.

DIYer said:
Flint said:
That shows a lack of creativity.
Isn't that inherent in singing a song written by someone else? :confusion-shrug:

true...the hired guns nailed it...she doesn't have much range though, she should have picked something easier to sing.

Flint said:
Well, they played it exactly how it appears on the record - a perfect cover band with no attempts to "interpret" what Queen did. That shows a lack of creativity. .......

I think this is where I have problems with covers. I think if a song is going to be covered, it should be done as close to the original as possible, yet still have the cover artists' own spin to it to still have that cover artist's identity on it. For me, it seems more times than not the cover never comes close to the original. Some of the worst covers I've heard:

"American Woman" - Lenny Kravitz (and I love Kravitz' work)
"Sweet Child O Mine" - Sheryll Crow
"Brown Eyed Girl" - Everclear
"Do It Again" - Smashmouth (Dear God, NO ONE should ever cover Steely Dan :roll: )

There was a Supertramp song that was covered a few years ago, but can't remember the band that done it.

But there were some good ones too. Off the top of my head......

"Bang a Gong" - Power Station
"China Girl" - Pete Yorn
"Mr Sandman" - Pomplamouse
"Sharp Dressed Man" - Nickelback (hate that band, but thought they nailed that tune).
"Hurt" - Johnny Cash

Yesfan70 said:
Flint said:
Well, they played it exactly how it appears on the record - a perfect cover band with no attempts to "interpret" what Queen did. That shows a lack of creativity. .......

I think this is where I have problems with covers. I think if a song is going to be covered, it should be done as close to the original as possible, yet still have the cover artists' own spin to it to still have that cover artist's identity on it. For me, it seems more times than not the cover never comes close to the original. Some of the worst covers I've heard:

"American Woman" - Lenny Kravitz (and I love Kravitz' work)
"Sweet Child O Mine" - Sheryll Crow
"Brown Eyed Girl" - Everclear
"Do It Again" - Smashmouth (Dear God, NO ONE should ever cover Steely Dan :roll: )

There was a Supertramp song that was covered a few years ago, but can't remember the band that done it.

But there were some good ones too. Off the top of my head......

"Bang a Gong" - Power Station
"China Girl" - Pete Yorn
"Mr Sandman" - Pomplamouse
"Sharp Dressed Man" - Nickelback (hate that band, but thought they nailed that tune).
"Hurt" - Johnny Cash
That was an incredible cover!!

Batman said:
........."Hurt" - Johnny Cash

That was an incredible cover!!

Yeah, I remember when I first saw the video. Very powerful. That's probably one of my favorite songs by the Man in Black.

Can't believe some of you guys never heard of Pink. She was bigger a couple years ago.

Did like the "shout out" to Freddy Mercury with the outfit.

Great covers where the original was NOT exactly copied:

Mr. Tamborine Man - The Byrds
Summertime Blues - The Who
Peace, Love, & Understanding - Elvis Costello
Sweet Jane - Cowboy Junkies
Hwy 51 - PJ Harvey
My Favorite Things - John Coltrane
Whipping Post - Frank Zappa
I'm a Man - Chicago

I can think of many others, but those are a good start.

Personally, I see performing someone else's writing as a means of showing creativity. In classical music, and much of the jass music out there, re-interpretting an original score or performance is how incredible new performances and experiences are created. Why can't we do that with rock music? When we talk about classical music, we often talk about how we love a certain piece of music, but we really love a specific recording, interpretation, or performance of that specific piece. The same goes for a large amount of jazz out there.

No, for me, I would rather hear an absolutely stunning interpretation of some old tune which knocks my socks off or makes me think totally differently about the composer than to hear someone imitate the original recording. Heck, most bands have to reinterpret their own studio recordings to perform them live simply because they cannot recreate the studio recording in a live setting. Do you prefer the live version of "Thick as a Brick" or the studio version, because the two have never been the same?

It's a decent cover song, but it doesn't do much for me. Though I'm sure her fans liked it, and that's always good as they'll possibly decide to investigate further into the classic rock catalog and find some more great music. That said, I do like some of Pink's own music---just the singles I've heard, that is. But as for her wardrobe? Nobody should wear a Freddie Mercury-influenced body suit. Something about it, I find creepy.

Going off topic for a moment.....

The Oak Ridge Boys:
Good = Their rendition of "Up On Cripple Creek".
Bad = Their cover of "Seven Nation Army".

Metallica's Garage Days Re-Revisited was the best collection of cover songs that sounded like the band made them their own.

Fu Manchu covers Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla and Van Halen's Dead or Alive. Both are better than the originals!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Najo_8Tvc[/youtube]

Johnny Cash absolutely made Hurt his own.

I know I am a simpleton when it comes to music, but I really liked it and I LOVE PINK!!!!

Flint said:
Great covers where the original was NOT exactly copied:

Mr. Tamborine Man - The Byrds
Summertime Blues - The Who
Peace, Love, & Understanding - Elvis Costello
Sweet Jane - Cowboy Junkies
Hwy 51 - PJ Harvey
My Favorite Things - John Coltrane
Whipping Post - Frank Zappa
I'm a Man - Chicago

I can think of many others, but those are a good start.

Personally, I see performing someone else's writing as a means of showing creativity. In classical music, and much of the jass music out there, re-interpretting an original score or performance is how incredible new performances and experiences are created. Why can't we do that with rock music? When we talk about classical music, we often talk about how we love a certain piece of music, but we really love a specific recording, interpretation, or performance of that specific piece. The same goes for a large amount of jazz out there.

No, for me, I would rather hear an absolutely stunning interpretation of some old tune which knocks my socks off or makes me think totally differently about the composer than to hear someone imitate the original recording. Heck, most bands have to reinterpret their own studio recordings to perform them live simply because they cannot recreate the studio recording in a live setting. Do you prefer the live version of "Thick as a Brick" or the studio version, because the two have never been the same?
when i was young i hated covers,but now ive found there isnt much newer rock or rock/blues for people who grew up listening to 70s music that suites my taste.now i search for covers and there are tons of great covers. the les paul collabration "american made" is a full album of great covers,also jeff healys "cover to cover". one of myfavorite all time covers is buddy guy doing red house from a hendrics tribute album. a lot of rockers dont even know most of there favorite stones -cream-ect.. are actually covers from muddy waters ect..

Back