• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Bought a Roku...............

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
Got a Roku a few days ago and finally got it up and running. What other channels are worth considering besides Netflix? I've added a few (free) channels, but was wondering about some others. I currently have Crackle, SEC Digital Network, SyFy, to name a few. I haven't really ventured outside of Netflix, but did scan around Syfy. I'm disappointed with that one. All the SyFy channel has is clips and videos from the main network. I was hoping for some full length videos of shows I might have missed.

On another note, I'm glad I have Amazon, but pissed about no Youtube. Navigating the Roku is WAY easier than the going through my clunky Bluray player. That alone is worth the price.

If you subscribe to satellite or CATV several of those channels (premium and basic) have apps on Roku for on-demand content. So search for your favorite channels.

We make heavy use of Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu Plus, Drama Fever, Vudu, PBS Kids and Plex.

If you want to stream your local media to the Roku, get the free Plex Media Server for your computer (they make versions for Windows, OSx and Linux) and get the Plex Channel. Music support is limited to AAC and MP3. Video support is limited to MKV and MP4. Working within those limitations is generally not hard and Plex has the advantage of having clients for Windows, Windows Phone, iOS and Android. It also has a full feature DLNA server. You can even stream media outside of your home if you open the right port on your firewall. It is the most flexible media server on the market.

I love my Roku. I'm an Amazon Prime member and I get many (older) movies and TV shows for free, included with my Prime Membership. Plus two day free shipping on lots of items, not all, but lots.

Enjoy,

Dennie

Towen7 said:
If you subscribe to satellite or CATV several of those channels (premium and basic) have apps on Roku for on-demand content. So search for your favorite channels.

I like Syfy, but was disappointed in what was offered. I was hoping for complete episodes for some shows in case I missed them. Same said for Disney.

Roku's strength is the variety of subscription services it supports. It also has a lot of niche audience programming from a variety of religious and other nonprofit organizations, as well as a decent variety of international programming.

My next HT toy is definitely going to be a Roku 3. I've heard they are much faster and more stable than the Roku 2 XS I'm using now.

Anyone know if the Roku 3s with have Ethernet ports? The one I have now is great, but would love to use a wired connection since I can add a port to the nearby wall plate.

^^
I'm uncertain of model but my ROKU has ethernet port. It's 3-4 years old.

Rope

Rope said:
^^
I'm uncertain of model but my ROKU has ethernet port. It's 3-4 years old.

Rope

I think mine is middle of the pack. The top of the line was the only one that had Ethernet. Not a total bust, but if I have a wired connection available, I would rather use that. I like to keep the WiFi to the phones and laptops.

Haywood said:
...Roku 3. I've heard they are much faster and more stable than the Roku 2 XS I'm using now.

I have the 2, and it's never fallen behind in streaming, nor ever crashed, so I don't see how it could be improved upon. :think:

Botch said:
Haywood said:
...Roku 3. I've heard they are much faster and more stable than the Roku 2 XS I'm using now.

I have the 2, and it's never fallen behind in streaming, nor ever crashed, so I don't see how it could be improved upon. :think:

Mine crashes occasionally. Local media streaming is a bigger problem than streaming from online sources. The Roku 2 has less codec support than the 3. It runs a vastly less powerful processor and has a lot less memory, so it is more prone to getting bogged down and crashing. Don't get me wrong. It is very livable. Its just that the 3 is a lot faster, supports DTS playback and is more stable with local video streams.

Amazon has them for just under $125. I may pick up one or two for the HT and living room displays.

The 3s also have Ethernet jacks.

You can get them online for $90 right now. I do not recommend buying any Roku without an Ethernet jack, as they are extremely flaky streaming local media over WiFi. I would not buy anything other than the 3 anyway, as the three can play DTS audio and is much faster.

Haywood said:
You can get them online for $90 right now. I do not recommend buying any Roku without an Ethernet jack, as they are extremely flaky streaming local media over WiFi. I would not buy anything other than the 3 anyway, as the three can play DTS audio and is much faster.

What about audio files? I know I've got my Squeezeboxes, but was just curious on how to stream audio to a Roku.

Yesfan70 said:
Haywood said:

What about audio files? I know I've got my Squeezeboxes, but was just curious on how to stream audio to a Roku.

Roku can handle MP3 and AAC file without any issue. I have all of my music ripped to either 320k mp3 or 256k AAC and it works fine. I use Plex Media Server and the Plex channel.

I have Plex added to my channels. Is it just a matter of having the media server installed on a PC and running it like a Squeezebox setup? If not, then what all is required? Thanks!

Back