• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Boxing Day TV Purchase - a So-So Experience

D

Deleted member 133

Forget your Black Friday. We Canucks still embrace our Boxing Day Sales / shopping.

So as per usual, I set out not bright and early this morning (when all the sado-masochistic "doorcrashers" do), but rather at 0900 - by which time the first wave of shoppers has finished and the second wave has not yet begun.

However unlike past years, this year I was on a much tighter budget - and planned to stick to it.

My goal: buy an ok quality, very inexpensive, small flat screen less than 32" for use in front of my stationary trainer.

Now I already had a 19" 720p unit that's a little too small. So I figured I'd replace it with something a little bigger and use the old one elsewhere.

I hit a couple of nearby stores and eventually went back to the first one where, ignoring my conscience and better judgement, I bought this made-in-China 24" 1080p unit: http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/televisions/NS-24E40SNA14.html

It was on sale new in box for $130. Add to that the $12.25 (Ontario) "environmental handling fee" (basically a tax to cover the future disposal of certain electronic goods) and the 13% HST, and the total came to $161.

Set up took a minute or two (basically to choose "movie" mode, "warm" temp, and to turn off all other "enhancements"). After that (and perhaps because the TV had sat in the very cold trunk of my car for a few hours) it took 10-15 minutes before the picture settled into something half decent picture-wise. (There were a lot of serious "jaggies" on all vertical lines and edges in the picture, top to bottom, which diminished and eventually disappeared.)

I then let the TV sit off for a couple of hours and turned it back on. The jaggies were back - although they went away faster this time. I'm now going to leave it on for a few days straight, and then try another off-on cycle.

Since I don't think I'm gonna be too keen on waiting for this TV to warm-up each time I want to watch it, if that doesn't work I will most likely box it up and exchange it early next week.

Anyone else have similar experiences with Insignia products?

Jeff

No advice regarding Insignia, but in my gigging days we always tried to let our equipment warm up if they'd been cold-soaked before powering up. Condensation on/in electronics is just not a good thing if you can avoid it.
I agree with your "burn-in" plan, hope it works for you!

That is odd.

I have had low-end 32" (read cheap) Vizio, Sumsung, and Westinghouse sets on the patio and neither have exhibited that behavior, but the coldest temp I've had them on was closer to 30F. When we first turn on the (also cheap) 19" Element in the kitchen the colors occasionally are way over saturated but look better, though never good, after a few minutes.

Towen7 said:
That is odd.

I have had low-end 32" (read cheap) Vizio, Sumsung, and Westinghouse sets on the patio and neither have exhibited that behavior, but the coldest temp I've had them on was closer to 30F. When we first turn on the (also cheap) 19" Element in the kitchen the colors occasionally are way over saturated but look better, though never good, after a few minutes.
We call that "great street hockey in shorts and T-shirts weather" this time of year! :)

1482776_10152083217979326_1309604850_n.jpg

Update: I left the TV on overnight and turned it off this morning before I headed out for the day. Several hours later I turned it on again and... no jaggies and an ok picture overall. I'm hoping it was only a problem because it was cold soaked.

Jeff

Back