• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

BR Picture Quality??

MatthewB said:
The remastered Jaws on Bluray is waaaaaay better than the DVD version. Universal recently had their top 100 movies remastered and went over frame by frame to correct any errors then released those 100 movies on Blu. I've got about five of them Jaws and To Kill a Mockingbird being a couple of them and the remastering is first rate.

I agree. Jaws is outstanding.

I have about 192 movies and six seasons of TV on Blu-Ray (way more on DVD). Meanwhile, my UV library just hit 110 and my 720p DD 5.1 .mkv library hit 270.

Towen7 said:
MatthewB said:
The remastered Jaws on Bluray is waaaaaay better than the DVD version.

But is it better than the laser disc version?

Don't know don't have that one on Laserdisc but considering the frame by frame resto on the image and reshot at 8k resolution then scanned down to 1080p and then going through the audio and converting it to a superb 7.1 Lossless audio track I tend to think the Bluray is a tad better than the laserdisc.

Unless you were being a smartass than I'll just say....... :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

MatthewB said:
Towen7 said:
MatthewB said:
The remastered Jaws on Bluray is waaaaaay better than the DVD version.

But is it better than the laser disc version?

Unless you were being a smartass than I'll just say....... :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

Of course I was being a smartass. I could not care less about dead formats. BD is the current standard and Im looking forward. Sure, there is a small handful of titles that may sound a little better on DVD but its the exception. I'm not advocating double dipping. To me that only makes sense for your most favorite titles that you'd watch over and over.

Is it safe to assume all new releases on BR will be superior to DVD? I would hope so...........

heeman said:
Is it safe to assume all new releases on BR will be superior to DVD? I would hope so...........
If you meant the picture quality, then yes. I haven't heard about it being worse than DVD. However, in audio department, we already know about M&C so there is a risk.

DIYer said:
However, in audio department, we already know about M&C so there is a risk.
We've been down this road before. DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD are authentic and accurate reproductions of the original soundtrack - exact duplicates of the director's intent as offered in the theatrical release. There is no creative or artistic license given to Dolby or DTS to add sound effects or artificially enhance those effects, as DTS did with the DVD release of Master & Commander.

DIYer said:
heeman said:
If you meant the picture quality, then yes. I haven't heard about it being worse than DVD. However, in audio department, we already know about M&C so there is a risk.

Aaaaaannnnnddddd.... M&C was re-released on BD. Nowadays movies are transferred to BD format and simply downconverted to DVD.

Zing said:
We've been down this road before. DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD are authentic and accurate reproductions of the original soundtrack - exact duplicates of the director's intent as offered in the theatrical release. There is no creative or artistic license given to Dolby or DTS to add sound effects or artificially enhance those effects, as DTS did with the DVD release of Master & Commander.
If you had a chance to compare the two, which audio (only) did you like better?

Towen7 said:
Aaaaaannnnnddddd.... M&C was re-released on BD. Nowadays movies are transferred to BD format and simply downconverted to DVD.
In M&C case, wasn't DVD released first?

Interesting observation from someone. Link

"if I never heard the DVD version I'd be thoroughly impressed. But after doing back to back comparisons I think if you are an LFE lover the DVD is the way to go"

Sounds like the first impression plays a big role. Hmmm..., where have I heard that... :think:

So lets all hang on to a dying format because of a tiny number of examples where a DVD was put out way before a BD and that DVD happened to have DTS enhanced bass information.

Great plan!

My issue was PQ.............

Understanding that PQ and AQ on new Blu Rays will be optimum is great and I really need to re-think picking up older releases on BR and double dipping on older released DVD's that I already own.

I have approx. 150 DVD Concerts in my collection and have double dipped on 3. I will have to look real hard at this also.

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Video quality of concert videos, especially "older" ones is almost always a crap shoot. Video depends a lot on light levels and the quality of the equipment used to shoot them. A crappy source film (lower resolution, poor ligting, lots of video noise) wont look much better on BD than it will on DVD or even VHS.

heeman said:
I really need to re-think picking up older releases on BR
Hence my earlier 'crap shoot' comment.

There's no guarantee that, just because something is available on BD, it's going to be vastly superior. Sometimes you get lucky; sometimes you don't.

Take 'The Rock' for instance. That movie - on BD - looks like it was filmed yesterday using the latest and greatest high-def cameras. And as Matt and Scott alluded to, Jaws is another example of outstanding video transfer. Sadly though, those are more the exception than the norm.

DIYer said:
Towen7 said:
In M&C case, wasn't DVD released first?
I bet that's why Towen chose to use - and emphasize - the letters R & E in the word "re-release".

I will put in some DVD's this weekend that I really enjoy and take a look at how crappy the PQ is in the HT. From what I am hearing from you guys, I may not be totally disappointed?

heeman said:
I will put in some DVD's this weekend that I really enjoy and take a look at how crappy the PQ is in the HT. From what I am hearing from you guys, I may not be totally disappointed?

That all depends on your equipment's ability to up convert 480p to 720-1080p. It's much easier for equipment to down convert (eliminate lines of resolution 1080p to 480 - 720p) than it is to up convert (interpolate/add lines of resolution, 480p to 1080p).

Be selective in choosing the disc you replace. A quick search online will give you some idea whether or not it worth the price of admission.

Rope

Rope said:
A quick search online will give you some idea whether or not it worth the price of admission.
:text-+1:

I frequently use Blu-ray.com to see what their reviewers have to say about a particular disc's audio/video quality before I buy it.

Zing said:
Rope said:
A quick search online will give you some idea whether or not it worth the price of admission.
:text-+1:

I frequently use Blu-ray.com to see what their reviewers have to say about a particular disc's audio/video quality before I buy it.

Yup, I go there all the time, however not totally reliable.

heeman said:
Yup, I go there all the time, however not totally reliable.
Like any other review, it's subjective. It's just supposed to guide you, not dictate.

Back