• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

British Television Police / Crime Dramas

• Thread starter Deleted member 133
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 133

Over the last number of months (when I've had more couch time than I care to ever have again) I have come to appreciate a number of very fine and extremely entertaining British television police / crime dramas.

In general they are all well-written, extremely well-acted, and in most cases both the urban and rural mis-en-scenes are fantastically real and vibrant.

In the British tradition, a "season" of each show typically only lasts three or four episodes, although for some series each episode comes in two parts, and each episode / part is longer in duration than your typical American fare.

Here are the ones I've worked through so far. They're easy to look up and check out on your own so I won't go into any detail about them.

In the Line of Duty
Worricker
Luther
Vera
DCI Banks

I should also caution that these can be quite graphic / gruesome / grisly in their depiction of murders etc.

Of the five above, both Vera and DCI Banks continue to be produced, and in fact the final episode of the season for DCI Banks aired over there this evening.

Each is different in its own way, and each will rope you in. I loved them all but if I were to highlight but one thing about just one of these, it is the amazing on-screen chemistry between star Idris Elba (as John Luther) and Ruth Wilson (as Alice Morgan) in Luther.

I urge folks to check them out, with but one caveat: if, like most Americans, you've never traveled to the UK and experienced Brits first hand for any period of time, you might get a big dose of culture / language shock - even though they are speaking English! Stick with it. Trust me: your brains have enough plasticity to adapt to those "foreign" dialects and quirks, and within a few episodes you should better understand what they are saying, and more importantly why they are doing what they are doing. (For example: cops / detectives almost never carry guns. So before you yell "shoot him" when the protagonist is facing a bad guy, remember that they can't! :) )

Jeff

I've never been to Britain, but I've watched quite a bit of British television over the years. One of the reasons I maintain a VPN service is so I can get access to BBC iPlayer.

I'm currently working my way through the excellent series Scott & Bailey. All of the main characters are female. But no reduction in the grittiness compared to the others.

Each episode is basically the US standard hour in length (ie. ~45 minutes without commercials) so the denouement arrives quicker with fewer plot twists and less fleshing out of criminal characters than with a show like Vera, which is closer to 90 minutes per episode.

However in S&B plot lines can extend across multiple episodes (and there can be a few on the go at any time).

It's available on Canadian Netflix - so it's probably in the US as well (although one of the differences between the two is that we tend to get more British programming.)

Jeff

New episodes of Shetland and Vera have recently started to air in the UK.

Watched the first new Vera episode tonight. Dang it was a heartbreaker!

Shetland is a relatively new series set... you guessed it, in the Shetlands. Amazing scenery. Good story lines and excellent acting. I found it tough cutting through the accents of a couple of characters, but it was well worth the effort.

For those who missed it, there was a short two part Series 4 of Luther that aired in December. It was even grittier than previous shows. And Idris Alba remains super strong in the lead role.

And of course there was the single Sherlock episode "The Abominable Bride" that was intended to keep up our interest in the series for at least another year until more episodes are available.

Jeff

Jeff, I just finished Luther on Netflix. Great ! Just have to get used to how they talk.
Now I need to check your other suggestions.

Haywood said:
I've never been to Britain, but I've watched quite a bit of British television over the years. One of the reasons I maintain a VPN service is so I can get access to BBC iPlayer.
Is BBCiPlayer avalible on Roku ? I could get into some of the British shows (even though I can't make a dent on whats on Netflix & Amazon Prime Video).

Season 2 of Happy Valley is now up on Netflix. Very gritty cop show with female lead - and a continuing story line - as opposed to distinct episodes.

It's neat to see certain actors popping up in different roles than what we've seen them do before - if but to get themselves killed within an episode or two.

I've now seen two female actors from The Good Wife appear in two different British shows (Vera and Shetland).

Speaking of Shetland, the just-aired third season is a hum-dinger!

AND, without starting a new thread, I've started checking out some Australian / New Zealand cop / crime shows. I gave up on Top of the Lake after three episodes. BUT...

...I highly recommend The Brokenwood Mysteries. Great stories / murders / mysteries and super fun characters. Plus one of the best original soundtracks I've ever come across. They use New Zealand country and western / bluegrass / folk singer / songwriters and thanks to that I've discovered one artist that is worth following: Tami Neilson. http://www.tamineilson.com/ Just ordered a copy of her Dynamite album.

Lisa and I are hooked on The Night Manager, which is an absolutely fantastic John Le Carre adaptation.

Gen and I have now watched the first two, of four, new Endeavour episodes.

I highly recommend the series.

Jeff

Haywood said:
Lisa and I are hooked on The Night Manager, which is an absolutely fantastic John Le Carre adaptation.
Thanks for the suggestion. Will likely watch that one next.

Jeff

Haywood said:
This is on AMC right ? What time ?
I have AMC with SlingTV. They fixed the issue of freezing/buffering of SlingTV using my Roku 4.

Gen and I just finished the first two series of Broadchurch - a fantastic show with wonderfully powerful acting by a huge ensemble cast (that you will recognize from many other shows.)

The show has so far dealt with two separate murder cases, linked by the principal character, a detective played by David Tennant, and played-out both concurrently and through flashbacks.

Apparently filming of a third series began filming last month. :handgestures-thumbup:

Jeff

Flint said:
What about Jack Irish?
Thanks for the reminder!

I'd been meaning to check out the telemovies but then forgot all about them some time ago. Now, thanks to your post, I see that there's also a six part TV series!

Jeff

I haven't watched it, yet, but I was curious if it was good. Vera, while gripping story telling, has grown irritating as the lead's social self-destruction is growing too comical and her sidekick's willingness to put up with emotional abuse is irritating. There is becoming a complete lack of subtlety which I find most intriguing in other BBC dramas.

I just watched the first Jack Irish telemovie "Bad Debts" (2012).

It was very good: acting, characters, story. Sets the stage nicely for the series.

Looking forward to watching the others.

Jeff

Watched the second Jack Irish telemovie "Black Tide" (2012).

Grittier than the first. Neat story and compelling characters.

Highly recommended - so far.

Jeff

ps. Also watched all of Series 1 of The Missing (2014) (8 episodes). Powerful stuff! Extremely well acted. If you are a big fan of happy endings, give this one a pass! Otherwise I recommend it.

Hey Snowman! Good to see you.

I loved Broadchurch (see my sig). I started Peaky Blinders and didn't get into it at the time, may give it another shot.

Back