• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Buchardt Audio S400 stand mounted speaker - my impressions

Just dropping back in.
I appollogize for being a newbie. If I am not welcomed in this forum, please just let me know. :)

I have been out of audio for about 15 years. My last set-up 15 years ago was Monitor Audio bookshelf speakers, a Sunfire sub and a Denon integrated receiver. I think I also had a set of B&W bookshelf's at the time. Sorry I cant remember which models.

Fast forward to now and I am going to downsize into an apartment.
I love the thought of active systems, to simplify. That's how I was exposed to Buchardt.
Recently I was able to hear their new A500s. Honestly I really didn't think they were great, especially given the price. Just not very exciting, and they needed a sub, at least to my listening taste.

So, I am looking for an active bookshelf system that includes a sub. I will be streaming music 80% of the time, and have the system hooked up to a TV.

I keep seeing so much publicity for the KEF LS50W2 and their new KC62 sub, but I have never heard any of them. Sure looks nice (I am an Industrial Designer)........but wonder if it's just the KEF marketing machine that is driving so much positivity.

Would love any feedback on systems to look at. I am also totally open to professional studio monitors as well. The design aesthetic does not bother me.

Last edited:
I appollogize for being a newbie. If I am not welcomed in this forum, please just let me know. :)
No need to apologize, you're very welcome here! A lot of us are in similar situations, in that we've had audio systems that haven't changed much in many years... I for one am not at all current with what's out there now.

The key thing to remember is the room size and room acoustics will impact your sound from any speaker. So with the limit of 105 db output from the sub it should be OK for being in close to the systems and near field. With near field and having obstacles you will have problems with the imaging. Getting the unobstructed sound would be key to good imaging. room design is the key, also get acceptance from significant other living in the space with you. In addition the deep base may not be there I could not see the Frequency response chart. However with moving into an apartment would sound leaking to others be a problem.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback !
No significant other in the picture (divorced) :neutral:
Would try to find an alternative apartment, industrial loft type. Not looking to crank the music though.

Are professional studio monitors only for near field listening ?

Are professional studio monitors only for near field listening ?

That depends on the design of the speakers they will typically say in the marketing if they are Near Field.

Back