• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Buy Sophie Milman's new Album - Trust Me!

D

Deleted member 133

Buy her new album In the Moonlight.

I've been waxing poetic about this incredible Canadian jazz singer ever since I saw her performing but one song on Jesse Cook's Live at the Metropolis concert DVD.

This is her fourth CD (after Sophie Milman, Make Someone Happy, and Take Love Easy) and while her first three were real treats, In the Moonlight takes the cake.

Great voice. Great songs. Great arrangements. Classic!

Reviews are starting to come in, here's one from yesterday's Ottawa Citizen (that's been profiling her since she's playing here tonight and tomorrow night.):

In The Moonlight ****

Sophie Milman (eOne)

This CD, Sophie Milman’s fourth since her self-titled debut in 2004, should do the trick. It should lift her from the class of “very promising” jazz vocalists — if she’s even still in that group, and I’m not sure she is — to a spot among the very best of her generation.

It’s a terrific CD, and it should be.

Matt Pierson (Joshua Redman, Kirk Whalum, Brad Mehldau, Jane Monheit) produced it and Milman is backed by an all-star cast that includes pianists Gerald Clayton and Kevin Hays, guitarists Julian Lage and Romero Lubambo, bassist Larry Grenadier, drummer Lewis Nash, percussionist Bashiri Johnson and renowned soloists Randy Brecker (flugelhorn), Chris Potter (tenor saxophone) and Gregoire Maret (harmonica). Arrangements were provided by Alan Broadbent, Gil Goldstein and Rob Mounsey.

It’s hard to go wrong there.

But Milman is in fine voice, too. Her reading of these jazz and pop standards is lush, warm, and romantic, exactly what she set out to do.

Like Make Someone Happy, which won a Juno in 2008, this one should win, too.

I’ll be watching to see if she decides to stretch out a bit on her next CD, to see what that beautiful voice can really do.

Jeff

Attachments

• 51xE4HhsWOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51xE4HhsWOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 96
Back