• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Buying Concert Tickets is a PITA

Towen7

Staff member
Why does buying concert tickets have to be such a PITA?

I heard on the radio that one of my favorite artists is performing in Houston in April. I go to Ticket Master and find that the "Live Nation" and "venue" pre sales starts today. So I go t Live Nation's site and get redirected back to Ticket Master but can't make a purchase. I went to the site for the venue but the tickets were STUPID expensive and inconsistently priced. Frustrated I went to the artist's site. I can buy tickets from there but they only tell you what section the seats are in - somewhere between rows B and HH. You don't know if your buying good seats in the second row toward the center, or shitty seats in the thirty third row on the outside. You have to make the purchase, which is final, and they will email your seat location in... SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS!!!

I have the feeling that those weeks are actually used to sell the seats at a higher price and leave me/us with whatever is left. They claim the tickets are first come first served, but if that were true it shouldn't take six weeks to figure out where my seat is.

Yet another of countless examples of how low-level scumbags and greedy bastards ruin an entire industry for the average fan. I mean you just wanna go to a show for a reasonable price and have a nice night out. But guaranteed that licensed ticket brokers are buying up a majority of the good locations to resell them at 3-400% markup, the good seats that are left are probably held for friends of the band or the arena employees etc....and these bullshit tactics artificially inflated the value if the crap seats left over. And don't even get me started on stub hub....another industry we've allowed to get all fucked up... :angry-cussingblack: :angry-banghead:

Rant off

I used to complain about the scumbag scalpers but this is the artist himself doing it which is just as bad if not worse. I know that artists will reserve a number of seats to sell outside of normal channels. It's bad enough if those were sold to scalpers but whats hapening here (apparently) is that they are dangling row B center tickets in front of loyal fans and delivering row HH outside. It's not like these are cheap at $100 each. There HAS to be a reason that they wont tell me which seats I get for more than a month. I'm convinced that they are trying to sell the row B seats to a scalper for a higher price and leave me with the row HH seats.

That sucks. The only tickets I've gotten recently were through TicketMaster, and it worked fine - showed me exactly what seats I was getting, and I got the tickets right away.

Yeah. Ticket Master works well but it seems that no matter how fast I get my order in I'm left with less than great seats because the artists and scalpers are engaged in these "pre sales". I'm really hopeful that I'm wrong and I end up with decent seats. But I'm skeptical.

You'll have to ultimately decide if the price you have to pay is worth getting "in" regardless of where you wind up at the venue...I feel your pain :handgestures-thumbdown: to the artist

I haven't gone to a concert in over 10 years for two reasons

The hassle/cost of getting decent tickets

The crowds. As I get older I just don't like crowds, not sure why.

I thought that I'd see the seat locations after I paid.I figured that if I wasn't happy wit the seats id just put the tix on eBay. When I realized that they won't tell me where the seats were for six weeks I had already made the purchase. Had I known I'd just have waited until they went on sale to the general public.

Regardless of what happens I'm never buying anything from this artist again.

Towen7 said:
I heard on the radio that one of my favorite artists is performing in Houston in April.
I didn't know the Backstreet Boys were still touring.

I could never stay mad at the Back Street Boys so it's not them.

I haven't said who because I don't want to poison the thoughts of any fans he may have here. The good news is that I think his long career is pretty much over which is why I was eager to see him live one last time.

This latest experience and the state of concert ticket buying overall means that I'll probably not more than a few more big venue shows ever. It's sad.

I before I started this thread I sent an email to the site I bought the tickets from. I didn't expect a reply but they got back to me in about 3 hours. Here's their reply. I feel a little better but not much

Hi Tom and Christy,

Seat assignments are sent out a few weeks after the orders are processed to discourage scalpers from buying up all the best seats. Tickets are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis and will reflect your exact place in the queue during the presale.

You should expect to receive your seat locations via email very soon.

Best,

Sergio

Concert ticket prices, trade practices, and the crowds are big reasons I now have an HT...
(oh, and no bathroom lines too. and cheep snacks) :)

Towen7 said:
I before I started this thread I sent an email to the site I bought the tickets from. I didn't expect a reply but they got back to me in about 3 hours. Here's their reply. I feel a little better but not much

Hi Tom and Christy,

Seat assignments are sent out a few weeks after the orders are processed to discourage scalpers from buying up all the best seats. Tickets are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis and will reflect your exact place in the queue during the presale.

You should expect to receive your seat locations via email very soon.

Best,

Sergio

I think his daughter, Eva, is so hot. I wonder if she'll be at the concert. :teasing-tease:
Rob

I don't go to concerts any more for the reasons stated earlier. Sure if someone like Yes comes around, I'll at least check it out and see what the prices are. I'm at the point in my life where the cost of the tickets just isn't worth the hassle of trying to get good seats, drive two hours out of my way (no one good comes to Chattanooga anymore), and then find good parking and my car isn't in a bad area. Sporting events are getting like that too.

What I've come to enjoy is when I do go out of town is finding a nice bar/club and see what the local talent is like. Problem is, my wife hates doing that.

I'm about to purchase some tix for Flogging Molly for March. We'll have to see how well that goes.

I've never had any issues when I buy my Killswitch Engage tix online, I am a fan club member of theirs so I'm not sure if that helps???

Jeez, I just saw in the paper I could've seen Fishbone tonight. For $20! :facepalm:

I just bought tix for Flogging Molly last night online though I had to wait from one screen to the next, it was painless.

I tried buying my wife 4 tix to Bon Jovi for Valentines Day, for her and her girlfriends. They went on sale at 10 am and when I got a chance to look at like 1230 the only thing left was section 320 row PP seats blah blah blah... For $50 a piece. Needless to say she is not getting them.

Back