• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Calibrating the Outlaw 2150?

mzpro5

Famous
Trying to figure out how to calibrate the 2150. No test tones, no separate channel volume controls, just a single balance adjustment. Been playing with speaker placement and balance adjustment all afternoon but can only calibrate by "ear" and you never know how the source material was mixed.

Any ideas?

Where's the "Critical 2CH Listening 101" thread when you need it?!? :teasing-tease:

Give it time and trust your ears. If one speaker is a touch hotter than the other you'll notice it eventually as you go through your music catalog.

mzpro5 said:
Trying to figure out how to calibrate the 2150. No test tones, no separate channel volume controls, just a single balance adjustment. Been playing with speaker placement and balance adjustment all afternoon but can only calibrate by "ear" and you never know how the source material was mixed.

Any ideas?
Why can't you use any old sound calibration DVD or BD, as you would any other time. Just calibrate the F L/R using a SLM and the balance knob. I have a copy of the DVD "Ultimate Tools" that I got from Razz. I've used it to calibrate all my stereo "Zone 2" set-ups (off my main HT and family room HT) as well as the "vintage" stereo set-up in my living room - using the balance controls only. Can also be used for 2.1 set-ups by using the sub's level control.

JeffMackwood said:
mzpro5 said:

Any ideas?
Why can't you use any old sound calibration DVD or BD, as you would any other time. Just calibrate the F L/R using a SLM and the balance knob. I have a copy of the DVD "Ultimate Tools" that I got from Razz. I've used it to calibrate all my stereo "Zone 2" set-ups (off my main HT and family room HT) as well as the "vintage" stereo set-up in my living room - using the balance controls only. Can also be used for 2.1 set-ups by using the sub's level control.

I have thought about doing that.

Would have to hook up a video disc player to the system. Getting thru the menus might be a bit problematic as there is no monitor in the system. Would have to find something to cover that.

Using a simple SPL meter and a CD or mobile device audio of Pink Noise to get the two channels balanced. I've never had to adjust a balance control in a well setup system. Then calibrate placement by ear.

If you have a subwoofer, all the tutorials SH and I wrote on the S&V Forum cover that. Again, SPL Meter and Pink noise is all you need to get relatively close to perfect.

Flint said:
Using a simple SPL meter and a CD or mobile device audio of Pink Noise to get the two channels balanced. I've never had to adjust a balance control in a well setup system. Then calibrate placement by ear.

If you have a subwoofer, all the tutorials SH and I wrote on the S&V Forum cover that. Again, SPL Meter and Pink noise is all you need to get relatively close to perfect.
Thanks Flint, was hoping you would chime in.

Back