• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Cambridge Audio's Stream Magic 6 DMP.

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
I was looking around Crutchfield and saw this.......

x779STMGC6S-F.jpeg

x779STMGC6S-B.jpeg

link

I have no need for this player with all the Squeezeboxes I have (just added a Transporter downstairs), but looks like a pretty good player for the money. One of the features it has is the ability to upconvert incoming data to 24 bit. My old Denon 3803 receiver had that and I liked it with mixed results. There was either no difference or a slight improvement, but I liked it.

The other things I like about it are USB ports and Bluetooth capabilities. I don't know if you still have to have a PC as the middle man, but that would be another plus if you didn't. That's the one thing I don't like about the SB is you have to have a PC for the software. I wished the software was just on the machine itself and then all you would have to do is plug in a huge HDD for your media.

Glad to see there is a player similar to the Squeezebox Transporter out.

EDIT: Isn't Cambridge Audio the company that used to make those low profile subwoofers that would slide behind a couch back in the late 90s early 2000s?

Was surprised at it's $799 price tag, I didn't expect it to be so high..............

Looks like a nice player with good features.

Our SB's are working just fine.

I really like the idea, but you can do more with less money in a modern small footprint HTPC, like the new Intel NUC platform or Apple TV.

The whole up-converting thing for digital audio is a little bothersome for me. I have yet to see any theoretical science, research, studies, or even good evidence to support that CD quality music sounds better when up-converted to higher resolution audio formats. In my experience with it firsthand, either no difference was apparent, or there was an added hiss/noise/airiness which wasn't in the original that I found distracting - more like a bad artifact of processing (my buddy who showed it to me liked the added "airiness" because to him it was more life-like). As such, I am waiting on any real evidence beyond metaphysical phrases about the technology.

A good semi pro sound card attached to the PC can do everything that box does, even with remote controls (for added cost), plus you get a monitor output and video support - Even gaming if you get a powerful enough computer.

I have been toying with the idea of building such a unit using a small footprint low power PC and a USB connected 8 to 11 inch display. There are a plethora of apps which can remote control a PC media player via smartphone I could experiment with. I got the idea to try it after my stepson showed me his Ardrino based media player. He isn't a music nut, but he uses it just like a Roku and it cost him less than $30 to assemble. The sound and video are amazing off that thing and it can be powered with just three or four AA batteries for about 10 hours of playback. That's impressive.

heeman said:
Was surprised at it's $799 price tag, I didn't expect it to be so high..............

Looks like a nice player with good features.

Our SB's are working just fine.

Mine are too. I thought the price wasn't too bad, especially when compared to the Transporter. Maybe it's an option for those wanting on the Squeezebox wagon, but can't. The 6 is their most expensive model, but I think even their cheapest was still higher than the SB Classic 3.

Flint said:
I really like the idea, but you can do more with less money in a modern small footprint HTPC, like the new Intel NUC platform or Apple TV.

The whole up-converting thing for digital audio is a little bothersome for me. I have yet to see any theoretical science, research, studies, or even good evidence to support that CD quality music sounds better when up-converted to higher resolution audio formats. In my experience with it firsthand, either no difference was apparent, or there was an added hiss/noise/airiness which wasn't in the original that I found distracting - more like a bad artifact of processing (my buddy who showed it to me liked the added "airiness" because to him it was more life-like). As such, I am waiting on any real evidence beyond metaphysical phrases about the technology.

A good semi pro sound card attached to the PC can do everything that box does, even with remote controls (for added cost), plus you get a monitor output and video support - Even gaming if you get a powerful enough computer.........

I can't provide the the science or evidence on the upconverting 16 bit audio to 24 bit, just my experiences. The Alpha 24 processor my old Denon receiver has, I used and preferred it. From my experiences, it was a garbage in garbage out experience. Stellar recordings seemed to sound better, bit I couldn't tell a difference with some of the lesser quality discs (say, some of my live recordings I got from trades).

Of course, the Onkyo I have now doesn't have any of that and I just run a digital connection from my sources to it, tone controls to flat, no added effects, sugars or preservatives. Since I've added the Transporter, I may play around and compare its DACs to the Onk's. One other thing I would like to add is the remote. I haven't used a smartphone to operate my SBs for a few years now. I just really like the ease and feel of the slim remote to be honest. Can you get that with a PC based unit?

Flint said:
.............I have been toying with the idea of building such a unit using a small footprint low power PC and a USB connected 8 to 11 inch display. There are a plethora of apps which can remote control a PC media player via smartphone I could experiment with. I got the idea to try it after my stepson showed me his Ardrino based media player. He isn't a music nut, but he uses it just like a Roku and it cost him less than $30 to assemble. The sound and video are amazing off that thing and it can be powered with just three or four AA batteries for about 10 hours of playback. That's impressive.

If you decide to go that route, is this something you may replace your SBs with? If so, why or why not? Be sure to do a build thread. You know how we all like build threads (still gotta get caught up on Heeman's thread).

I'd love to see the results of a double-blind test that put that thing up against a $99 Roku 3. I'm betting on no reliably discernible difference.

Flint said:

Add my name to that waiting list!

Back