• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Can a PJ be too bright?

I don't believe so, if you're getting too much light reflected back into the room off of the screen, could the screen itself be too large? Either way, based on a few of your posts here lately, I'm thinking we're in for some kind of reveal of a new addition soon...Have you fiddled at all with the projector's settings to dial things back a bit?

Yes, a PJ can be too bright to accurately display colors. BUT... all HT projectors have the ability to control the bulb's output level in addition to the contrast and brightness settings. While I suppose it's possible, I've never heard of a consumer class PJ that couldn't be adjusted to an appropriate brightness for the room/screen.

As usual T7 typed it out better than I, when I read too bright, I instantly thought "too bright" no matter what you do during the set-up process to reign it in...

Thanks for the replies guys. What I meant by too bright is the amount of lumens the PJ throws. And no Batman, nothing to unveil. I'm just thinking aloud right now. I'm the type of person that has to have everything thought out before I move in any direction.

Here's my thought process right now. I have a dedicated bonus room that I've been using to listen to music..2 channel and multi channel. I have it set up for the best "practical" purpose, not necessarily the best listening experience. So, the room is 15' wide by 21' long and I have the speakers on the long wall firing into the 15 feet wide section. Not the best, but, after talking with Ethan Winer about it, felt it was doable with some treatments in place (I still need more bass trapping, but that'll come later). The reason for the layout is that the room has uneven vaulted ceilings and dormers....so from a practical standpoint, it works better this way. Now, here's the catch....I have it set up for an eventual display...but after living without it for a couple of years, don't really miss it that much. I enjoy having a music room (wife want's video up there at some point). Either way, music will always be the priority so that's my focus. Now, when I listen to music, the visual aesthetics are also important, so I want a room (although it's dedicated) to flow visually with the rest of the house, but also has a statement that it's a music first room. Thus, no covering windows with drywall or acoustic panels (I like natural light during the day) and no covering of the dormers as I go in the attic through the dormers frequently. Holding on to this mindset, the wall I'm looking at now when listening to music is bare. I would like some artwork there...but that's where the display should go. I'm also limited by the size of the wall as the ceiling meets the wall 5ft above the ground. Here's a photo of the front of the room now:

IMG_1434.jpg

As you can see, if I have a display on the wall, I would like for it to be as big as possible. If I go with a Plasma, I MAY be able to squeeze a 60". If I go PJ, I would have to either have a drop-down from the ceiling or hang a fixed screen from the ceiling to maximize size. Either way, I want to be able to hide the screen, or Plasma, completely when not watching it with some form of artwork. I do not want to see myself in a Plasma screen when listening to music.

So, if I go plasma, it'll be easier to hook up, but I'll sacrifice image size.

If I go PJ, I'll get a larger image size and should get a great picture due to a smaller screen....what I mean is...

I'm thinking of going with either an 84" or 92" screen...0.8 gain for enhanced contrast, and leaning towards either an Epson 8700ub or Panasonic 4000 pj. The Epson 8700 is brighter with better contrast, which could work. I'm also looking at watching Blurays at night and possible football on sunday afternoons, so some daytime viewing would be required (thus a brighter PJ). If I go with a PJ, it'll be a huge pain in the ass to hook up while keeping the room looking clean. So, I'm waffling right now in trying to find the best setup for my 2 hours a week I'd be watching something without making the room look like crap.

There you go. Just thinking about lot's of crap at the moment.

Here's a thought - have a flat screen on the wall with some sort of artwork that you can move into place in front of it - have the art on something like a pull-down screen. Dunno if something like that exists... Or some sort of fancy curtain-ish thing that you can open to the side(s) when watching the TV. Either way it might help somewhat with acoustic reflections off the TV/wall.

PaulyT said:
Here's a thought - have a flat screen on the wall with some sort of artwork that you can move into place in front of it - have the art on something like a pull-down screen. Dunno if something like that exists... Or some sort of fancy curtain-ish thing that you can open to the side(s) when watching the TV. Either way it might help somewhat with acoustic reflections off the TV/wall.

Thanks Pauly. Also my thought on the TV....acoustics. Right now, the imaging on my setup (not bragging here) is some of the best I've heard. Vocals and drums come from a pinpoint location (dead center on the wall) and the overall presentation is delicious. Don't want to screw that up.
I fear a TV may.

If the room is 15' wide, how far from the screen will you be sitting? 10' to 12' with a few feet behind you to the back wall? I'd use those distances as a guide to figuring the best screen size and go from there. :twocents-mytwocents:

Orbison said:
If the room is 15' wide, how far from the screen will you be sitting? 10' to 12' with a few feet behind you to the back wall? I'd use those distances as a guide to figuring the best screen size and go from there. :twocents-mytwocents:

I'll sit about 11' from the display, but the width of the front wall is my limiting factor.

The suggestion I was trying to make was to base your decision on how far your seating position was from the screen. If you decided 60" was big enough you could go with the plasma on the wall. Otherwise, you could go with the screen. Just a consideration to think about. Good luck - looks like it will be a killer setup!

With that setup and some of your wishes, I still like my idea. Build a triangular shaped box with a cutout in the bottom panel (which would be parallel to the floor). You can hide the screen inside it when you want it out of the way and pull it down when you want to use it. Paint the box to match the sloped ceiling and it will nearly disappear.

Thanks Orbison.

Randy, I'm with you on the idea. I've thought about that (it was my initial thought)...building a box around the screen assembly. I've also thought I could add lights to the back-side of the box to illuminate the eventual picture on the wall (also, may give appearance that the box's purpose is a light). I'm still in the designing phase. I also have to figure out how to hide the PJ and the wires (cannot run wires through walls and it would be a 50ft run from the PJ to the equipment rack).

But, for the PJ, if brightness is not an issue for a smaller screen (PJ calculators show the Epson as too bright....but not sure if that's in full output or economy mode), then I would choose to error in the too bright direction as it would give me better oomph during the day, and I could tone it down (hopefully a grey screen would help) for evening watching.

I must say, the idea of watching Star Wars on a big screen; with a great picture (deep blacks) and in surround does seem kind of cool. Plus, my daughter is of the age where she may enjoy it too.

Any other PJ's I should be looking at? I have Panasonic 4000; Epson 8700ub (the 6500ub is on sale for $999), and really, that's about it.

Some random thoughts related to Randy's suggestion: Print out that picture of the area. Cut out a piece of paper in the approximate size the screen mounting box would have to be and position it on the picture. That would give you an idea of what the room would look like during the day when the screen was not in use. The box would extend past that center wall on each side - how high off the floor would it be? Could you walk under it without ducking? (if that matters) Would it block too much light coming in thru those windows behind it when the screen was not in use? :think:

From the photo and description that you posted I can't help but think that the best solution is the most obvious: hang a flatscreen on that wall and get on with life.

I don't see it messing with the acoustics: bare reflecting wall now; reflecting flatscreen later.

When not in use and when you don't want to "see yourself" while into the music-only mode, throw a black cloth over it.

That's what I'd do.

Jeff

Back