• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

car sub for home theater?

Nufan

I'm sorry if this seems stupid. My JVC sub is going out. I am wondering if I can use my 10" MA Audio competition car sub(s) 10" in my home theater set-up?

Current set-up is Klipsch Reference RB-6 and RC-52 Marantz NR 1403. Sub is 10" powered by 120 watt amp (on the sub box), can not find the Ohm.

Another stupid question....any way to hook up a car amp to the receiver?

Thanks All.

Can you use the car subs? Yes, they will produce sounds and provide some of the LFE channel info. But they won't perform add well out sound as good as a home theater sub.

Can you connect you car amp, I absolutely do not recommend it. You need a very high current 14V DC power supply to power the car amp, and those are extremely expensive, enough that you could use that money for a new okay quality home sub which would sound better than the car subs anyway.

Sell the car subs and amp and buy a new home sub.

I know that would be best. I just like to learn and play around. Plus I am getting married at the end of July, so no spending money on toys for a while:(

The woofers will function, the amp is a bad idea and I don't recommend trying to make it work.

But if you do want to go that route, you need a DC power supply which can generate more current (AMPS) than the amplifier's fuse size. So if the amp has a 10A fuse, the power supply needs to deliver at least 10A, and those are expensive. This is dangerous stuff. You can probably get the LFE output from your receiver into the line input on the amp pretty easily.

Oh I am not going to try the amp; I was just curious about it.
I am more likely to swap speakers :) Just to play around.

I had a 10" sub in a sealed box that I had in my Thunderbird for years and it worked great. I took it out and had it laying around because it wouldn't fit in the truck I bought so I had to buy new.

I got a hair brained idea and hooked it up in the home using one side of a 2 channel amp I had. This was a single voice coil 4 ohm driver so it didnt require the amp to be stable under super crazy loads, but I digress.

It really didnt work. The sub worked really well in the car and horribly in the home. Hmmm, I guess the laws of physics are laws and not suggestions for real reasons.

I am still cheating, I have Fosgate 12 running off a Parts Express plate amp. Once I get my house then I will set it up right, Power Sound sub. I have been happy with it for now.

I digress. A car sub will work in a home setup. I know a lot of people that do it with great results. There are things to look at and to take into consideration though.
The subs sens and box type/s it can perform in. As well as it's freq response. High sens and low power handling are the keys. Also a good T-line box (if you have the room) will yield outstanding results. Make sure it's a sub that can play higher then what you're accustomed to. Home audio from what I've seen cross's over higher then in a vehicle. 120Hz to 200Hz (even higher) as opposed to 63Hz to 90Hz.

If you have the time and supplies, why not try it? After all, you did say you like to try/learn new things.

As for a car amp, it gets costly quick to power one in home. I, personally, wouldn't say it's dangerous, but it's far from cheap.

Back