• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Ceiling Fan Recommendations?

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
I want to replace the cheepazz chandelier in my dining room with something a bit more modern-looking, and with a ceiling fan. I looked at the Big Ass Fans' Haiku, love the way it looks but it would dwarf my small dining room, and is quite pricey:

a_fan_to_be_a_fan_of_cuhdk.jpg

This one at Amazon looks promising, decent size:
http://www.amazon.com/Minka-Aire-F8...00I49BFKS/ref=psdc35_t1_B00CIDP8AE_B00I49BFKS

F844-DK_l.jpg

It comes with a separate remote to control fan speed and light dimming, I think I'd prefer all that in the wall box. It certainly isn't as sleek as the Haiku, either. Anyone have experience with the Minka-Aire brand?

We have a Minka-Aire in one of our spare bedrooms. It doesn't get used very often so I can't say much about it. I just tested it and t works after eight years, though the motor did seem a bit loud on medium. It was just as loud on high but it was drowned out but the noise of moving air. For the first 15 seconds or so after switching to high the motor was really loud but then it quieted down. We have another fan in the bedroom I use as an office and it doesn't have a remote - all the controls are buttons on a decora-type switch and it's a bit of a pain in the ass because the individual buttons are so small.

I've always purchased Casablanca. They're pricey but worth the $.

I always thought Hunter was the ceiling fan. Or is someone going to tell me that they're like the Monster or Bose of ceiling fans?

^ Last I heard Hunter and Casablanca were under the same umbrella. But I've hung both, there's really no comparison in quality. BUT Casablanca can easily be 2-3 times as much but have many more styles and combinations...

You can often order every motor style in most of their finishes and then order any finish/color blade. They also offer electronic 6-speed controls.

Zing said:
I always thought Hunter was the ceiling fan. Or is someone going to tell me that they're like the Monster or Bose of ceiling fans?

Hunter is what I have but I have had them so long that I am sure plenty new brands out there. But lasting a long time is a good thing?

I have heard good things about Casablanca also.

Batman said:
I've always purchased Casablanca. They're pricey but worth the $.

Question for you Chris: I currently just have a chandelier, and a dimmer switch on the wall. Does a fan/light with both variable fan speeds, and a dimmable light, require extra wires to be pulled, or is that control done over the existing 2/3 conductor wire? I'm assuming lights with a remote do all the adjusting at the light, not sure about a wall-mounted controller.

Actually that is perfect as the wall controller and motor communicate via RF (on the electronic models) the fan speed control and dimmer are built into a single gang switch and there's a hard switch powering the entire unit on or off.

Their more conventional 3-speed motors can have an optional remote controller installed in the canopy. As far as I know the only drawback of the electronic 6 speed units are that the motor is electronically controlled via wall switch OR remote but not both. Kind of lame but these things are smooth and still worth the investment IMO.

I own a variable speed Hampton Bay ceiling fan that's been running non stop (except powe outages) for 11 years.

Rope

DIYer, that first one was very similar to the Casablanca I was considering (thanks Chris!). The second one hangs too low, I only have 8' ceilings and I'm 6'5" (more on nights when I wanna look pretty and wear my heels). That third one looks really interesting, will research more tomorrow.
The Haiku has a 60" span (ergo 30" blades), and there's only 40" between the light base and my side wall, there's clearance but I felt it would be too large, visually. Thanks for all the suggestions, folks!

Ok, so you need so called "short" ceiling fan with smaller blade length. Let me see if I can find the links I saved when I was looking for one.

Botch said:
I only have 8' ceilings and I'm 6'5" (more on nights when I wanna look pretty and wear my heels).
:eek:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVb_teMUnDM[/youtube]

The power question?

You will most likely have a two wirew from the dimmer to the light. That will not support the fan motor.
Dimmers and fan motors are not a friendly combination. If you want the switch on the wall you will need to pull another wire, or use the wireless options. The two wires are hot and neutral, black, white, and blue, and a ground bare wire.

By using one of the wireless options on the wall switch you will find that you can control the fan and light separate. In the bedroom I have both the wall and a remote at the bed. In this case I have to have something small like a night light plugged into the outlet that the light switch controls for the Hunter system to send the wall switch commands to the fan/light.

Back