• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Changed speaker heights now sub isn't playing as before

No, I had to turn up my volume from -17 to -12db to get a perceived same volume as before. But sitting down with a few discs such as Blade Runner 2049 and Tenet, I may be incorrect.

These are both on 4k disc. I guess I am slightly disappointed with the output of Disney + with the bass from Andor where I don't think I had that problem before. I expected more oomph. Is it possible my Sony TV settings for sound got messed up? I will have to rewatch in a bit to see.

But if things go well, I should have a new receiver by mid summer. Looking at the Marantz Cinema 50 for numerous reasons. It has 11 channel processing, it allows you to assign what channels you want to power with you external amp (many only let you do back Atmos - my ATI I want driving my mains), most up to date on video stuff, allows you to shut off power side once external amp is only used, turning it into a pre/pro (hope to get 11 channel Monolith)
I always have to watch anything on Disney+ on slightly higher volumes than I do anything else, although I don't really notice an issue with the bass on stuff I watch.

Good luck on the new receiver when you get it. So glad I upgraded, if nothing else for the 4K passthrough.

Okay, YPAO and SPL meter basically matched.. distance measurements were spot on for speakers (excluding sub because I never understand that one)
So now the question is, typically would have my receiver at -17db (obviously relative) but now it seems my receive to achieve the same volumes needs to be -12db or more. This is with YPAO. I didn't change anything with the receiver minus cycling on and off because I was unplugging surrounds and lowering. Occurred several times
You mentioned unplugging the surrounds multiple times. It it possible the made mistake reconnecting something and your sub issue is a phase issue?

You mentioned unplugging the surrounds multiple times. It it possible the made mistake reconnecting something and your sub issue is a phase issue?
No, I definitely have the right positive and negatives. Not a bad thought though.

Got it all taken care of and now it sounds really good. Guess I needed to readjust with the surrounds being lower and way more surround detail. I'll look at the streaming side and see about the bass again. My girls are with me this week so won't be able to do much demo stuff. I will check at night at lower volumes the impact.

Btw, I am excited about the detail in the surrounds now that they are at about ear level. My girls came home with me tonight and I was excited to impress upon them the sound improvement.......they were not impressed.

I think the girls enjoy the system in terms of watching movies but probably don't realize the quality since it is their norm.

Side story, I went to Best Buy last Saturday and checked out just the looks of the new Marantz Cinema series. They had 3 rooms, the one the person was most proud of was the demo room with an OLED, drop down screen and 5.2.4 setup.

He wanted to show me but I was quick to point out that I didn't want to waste his time because i had most of my system and was just browsing. He told me he was bored and it didn't matter at the time so after that I agreed to watch his demos. They were Top Gun maverick the 2:15 test run scene and the beginning of Dunkirk with bullets whizzing by and such.

So I watched and listened and as he stood a bit behind me I smiled widely, nothing he could see. Not because it sounded super awesome but because I knew my system sounded a lot better. Sure I didn't have the automated lights and kaleidoscape and the Marantz pre/pro and amps. But my system easily sounded better.

I thanked him for the time and didn't mention my findings. But I went home and watched the same exact scenes several times, smiling the whole time

Back