• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Cheapest 50" Plasma/LCD you would buy?

The DirtMerchant

Thinking about a 50" this Christmas, but don't need any bells and whistles.
No 3-D, no 1080p necessary. Anyway...looking for what is the cheapest
that is a quality display. I've seen some 720p Panasonic Plasmas
in the $600s. Just wondering if Panasonic is the way to go still or if there's
anything else out there I should take a look at...

I recently purchased a 42" Panasonic plasma for $600. I am very happy with it, although I can't compare it to any others as this is the first large screen tv I've owned.

-B-

The Panasonic plasma around $600 is my choice, maybe holiday prices will bring the 1080p set closer to that mark. A friend has it and I have the 42". Not a better buy out there IMO.

Towen7

Staff member
I can buy a Samsung PN50C450 for $499 locally at Frys. I think the same deal is available on their website as well. If I were looking for a good display at a cheap price that is what I would buy.

Rope

Famous
You could save some geeza if you opt for a monitor, e.g. no tuner. If you're using a STB or satillite receiver, there really isn't a need for a tuner. Just a suggestion.

Rope

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
Dirtmerchant's post is close enough for me to not start a new thread.

Looking for one for my mom. I'm pushing for a 50", but she thinks that will be too big. She sits a little over 11 ft from the wall it will be on (measured to be around 136") and thinks a 30-40" TV is more than good enough. What's everyone's take on Vizio? Worth looking into?

Also, I saw on a DIY show (either Garage Mahal or Man Caves), where there is a frame you can buy that has a polarized screen cover to make the TV look like a mirror when the display's turned off. Where do you find those and how much do they cost?

Sorry for the hijack Dirt.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!
Superstar
This month's Consumer Reports is their yearly Electronics issue, and it struck me that in both the plasma and LCD categories, in reliability, Panasonic took all the top spots. :handgestures-thumbup:

Kazaam

Yesfan70 said:
Dirtmerchant's post is close enough for me to not start a new thread.

Looking for one for my mom. I'm pushing for a 50", but she thinks that will be too big. She sits a little over 11 ft from the wall it will be on (measured to be around 136") and thinks a 30-40" TV is more than good enough. What's everyone's take on Vizio? Worth looking into?

Also, I saw on a DIY show (either Garage Mahal or Man Caves), where there is a frame you can buy that has a polarized screen cover to make the TV look like a mirror when the display's turned off. Where do you find those and how much do they cost?

Sorry for the hijack Dirt.
Maybe 42", eh?

As for Vizio, I don't envision myself ever buying one. But I've heard some folks say they're a good value for what you get, so it might be worth trying. Then again, a google search about Vizio and "green screen" will yield a number of results about a particular problematic model from a few years back. Though, exactly how widespread the problem was, I don't know. Plus, it's not like there aren't lemons from other manufacturers, too.

fwiw... My grandmother has a Vizio LCD with a 37-ish sized 1080p screen, probably came from Walmart or something like that. Anyway... She complained after two or three months that the audio sounded tinny. So I played around with all of the various audio settings and finally found one that she thought was OK, but I kind of doubt she was completely happy. (We probably should've seen if the set could still be returned/exchanged, but she didn't want to, so...) That said, I never thought it sounded horrible; in fact, it was downright acceptable for a smaller room. Though, I'll admit that the sound wasn't nearly as "full" and nice as what I hear coming from my 50" Samsung plasma's internal speakers---though mine is a bigger TV and maybe has room for bigger speakers, I dunno.

yromj

Yesfan, a good rule for screen size vs. distance is to divide the distance from the screen (in inches of course) by 2.5. 11 x 12" = 132". 132"/2.5 = ~53". The TV you saw in my living room was a 50" that we sat right at 10' from.

John

Yesfan70

Famous
yromj said:
Yesfan, a good rule for screen size vs. distance is to divide the distance from the screen (in inches of course) by 2.5. 11 x 12" = 132". 132"/2.5 = ~53". The TV you saw in my living room was a 50" that we sat right at 10' from.

John

Thanks. Looks like I was right that a 50" would be a better choice in her room. Appreciate the info.

Yesfan70

Famous
Yesfan70 said:
......Also, I saw on a DIY show (either Garage Mahal or Man Caves), where there is a frame you can buy that has a polarized screen cover to make the TV look like a mirror when the display's turned off. Where do you find those and how much do they cost?......

What about the above? Anyone have any info on that?