• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Clear that ice from your windshield!!

Yikes, that looks like it came from the hood of the vehicle in front. Is it common practice to remove the ice and snow from ones hood before heading out? Living in the south I have no experience with such matters.

Towen7 said:
Is it common practice to remove the ice and snow from ones hood before heading out?

Living where I have all of my life, YES, it is, but many in our area do not. Some, I know don't do it out of just sheer laziness, a few others refuse to because they don't want to waste gas letting their vehicle heat up and melt the ice/snow off. To me, that is ridiculous! I have witnessed people driving in the am with just a small circle scraped out in the windshield, just big enough so they can see where they are going.

I'm not sure what is actually required by law, but there are some seriously dangerous scenarios. Personally, when we encounter snow, I usually try and clear off the vehicles we would use enough to get inside and start them, blast the heat/front defrosters and turn on the rear window defroster and let them run while clearing the driveway. I try to then clear as much snow and ice as I possibly can off the vehicle while everything is melting including the roof. Unless we get feet upon feet of snow that process is usually sufficient enough to feel comfortable venturing out without fear of causing harm to others. If I can get most of it off or down to very thin sheets of ice, the sun usually takes care of the rest of it pretty quickly.

Towen7 said:
Yikes, that looks like it came from the hood of the vehicle in front. Is it common practice to remove the ice and snow from ones hood before heading out? Living in the south I have no experience with such matters.

I suspect you are right Towen. Look at the hood of the guy with the camera on board. His has ice on it as well. I park in the garage. Problem solved. If I am out and about and get freezing rain, I clean all windows, and sometimes if you give the car body a quick rap in the right place you can get the ice to crack and then slide off.
But I don't believe there are any laws about cleaning off the body of the car of ice, but, like Babs said there are these asshats who clear a small patch on windshield then head out on the roads!!
I was amazed at how calm the driver that got hit remained. No curse words...nothing!!
Mike

Babs said:
Towen7 said:
Is it common practice to remove the ice and snow from ones hood before heading out?

Living where I have all of my life, YES, it is, but many in our area do not. Some, I know don't do it out of just sheer laziness, a few others refuse to because they don't want to waste gas letting their vehicle heat up and melt the ice/snow off. To me, that is ridiculous! I have witnessed people driving in the am with just a small circle scraped out in the windshield, just big enough so they can see where they are going.

I see this too. It's dangerous. It's not always possible to remove ALL the ice- if it's really encased, there's really nothing that can be done to fully clear the vehicle. Still, you are responsible for damage caused by debris coming from your own vehicle, even if it's a rare thing for the guilty party to actually have to pay up. It's a good reason to allow some extra following distance when there's been recent winter weather events.

It seems risky. If a sheet of ice forms on the hood, and is slowly melted for the engine hear below it'd begin to float on the hood. Just a little wind getting under that sheet and ... Whoosh!

I too noticed the calm of the driver. There's no way I would have remained so poised.

The video doesn't show up for me. Says I need a plug in. I got the same message on one I tried to post in another thread.

Works on my iOS devices and my Windows 10 laptop using both Firefox be and Edge.

Had nearly the same thing happen to me today on the way to a swim workout on the local highway. Only difference was that the ice sheet shattered against my windshield, and not the windshield.

I caught up to the Mazda SUV ahead of me and too a photo of the vehicle, licence plate, and then as I passed on the left, the driver, just in case there was damage that I could not see from within the car while driving. There wasn't.

The driver was an oblivious female who obviously could not have been bothered to properly clean off her vehicle. We've had the perfect combination of snow, thaw, freeze cycles to turn uncleared snow on car roofs into thick slabs of ice.

Jeff

Wait what...you were taking photos as you were driving? Bad Mr. Mackwood !!! :happy-smileygiantred:

Back