• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Compilation SACDs

D

Deleted member 133

Folks,

In another thread, some time ago, I mentionned that I have been expanding my SACD collection by snapping up lots of them at bargain basement prices.

One type of SACD that I have been buying is (are) compilation SACDs from a variety of labels.

By judicious (and patient) searching of the likes of Amazon, eBay and others, most can be had for $10 or less. Although I note that as of tonight, two that I bought for that price are now only available for much more than that. Patience being a key necessary attribute.

The Linn Selektions are exceptional recordings of jazz, choir, classical, pop, etc. I've got volumes 1-4 and currently I see these on Amazon for new and used prices much less than $10. Get them while you can!

Concord Jazz samplers 1 & 2 are a real treat - but not currently cheap.

I recently added 6 & 7 to my Telearc SACD Sampler Volumes 1-5 collection. Hours of enjoyment!

I'm patiently waiting for lower prices on Groove Note's SACD Samplers 2 & 3 - given how much I liked Sampler 1.

There are also a number of single volume samplers out there for the taking. I'll leave it up to you to search for them and track them down.

Almost all of these are hybrid multi-channel SACDs. Some contain a mix of multi-channel and stereo recordings. The sound quality on all of them is great to greater. ALL are worth getting - especially at that $10 price point!

You can thank me later.

Jeff

ps. Just writing this post inspired me to order a couple more that I tracked down - at about $11 each.

Attachments

• 51LVS2IHg9L._SS500_.jpg
    51LVS2IHg9L._SS500_.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 235
  • 51tg5uf-OuL._SS500_.jpg
    51tg5uf-OuL._SS500_.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 235
  • 41HQCPXjvrL._SS500_.jpg
    41HQCPXjvrL._SS500_.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 235
  • 417nM-JnukL._SS500_.jpg
    417nM-JnukL._SS500_.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 235
Cool. I thought about getting some of the telarc classical compilations recently, when I (stupidly for my wallet) did an unrestricted search for "sacd" on amazon. ;) Ended up getting some other stuff, but those jazz ones look cool.

Question: Have you checked out the multichannel mixes on any of the "Linn" samplers? And, if so, do you like those mixes? What are the surrounds like? Is it a subtle ambience that is barely noticed? Or an aggressive surround mix that is in your face? Or maybe some of each type? Or something in between?

Kazaam said:
Question: Have you checked out the multichannel mixes on any of the "Linn" samplers? And, if so, do you like those mixes? What are the surrounds like? Is it a subtle ambience that is barely noticed? Or an aggressive surround mix that is in your face? Or maybe some of each type? Or something in between?

I have listened to all of them. A few times.

The mixes are entirely appropriate for the music / setting. These are not special effects demos. To my ear they were engineered to sound as "realistic" as possible.

Take Claire Martin's rendition of Black Coffee on the first Linn disc as an example. The surrounds are used entirely to give an amazing sense of tight club space.

The "larger" pieces (like the Scottish Chamber Orchetsra & Chorus' take of Mozart's Requiem in D minor - Dies Irae) put you in the centre of a concert hall.

All multi-channel fans either own or have heard Dark Side of The Moon. That's demo material to show off what your surrounds can do. That's way over the top mixing. It's a lot of fun - like going to the circus.

Not at all like the Linn SACDs.

Keep in mind that these are samplers. They're intended to wet the appetite for the full individual recordings / discs. I'm just saying that on their own they are great bargains that let you take your multi-channel system out for a spin.

Jeff

Back