• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Computer monitor audio over HDMI?

Towen7

Staff member
Will an HDMI computer monitor use the HDMI for audio, or does it only recognize the analog input?

I'm thinking of buying a monitor to connect to an STB in the kitchen and I need to know if I need to buy an 1/8" to RCA cable for the audio, or if the HDMI will work for audio and video.

If the computer monitor has built-in stereo speakers, then HDMI will do the job.

Rope

Sweet!

Thanks for the info.

A 21" monitor costs a lot less than a similar sized TV. All I need is a single input and picture/sound quality isnt much of a concern.

Yep, HDMI will work. A while back I helped a friend put a karaoke system together and he purchased a 24" Asus monitor w/ HDMI. We connected his laptop and started playing music and could NOT understand where that damned soft reverb was coming from...until we turned the monitor off. :angry-tappingfoot: Yeah, we're pretty smart. :teasing-tease:

John

Just thought of another question...

The STB outputs 720p or 1080i. Can a typic monitor "upscale" either of those resutions to it's native 1080p?

Towen7 said:
Just thought of another question...

The STB outputs 720p or 1080i. Can a typic monitor "upscale" either of those resutions to it's native 1080p?
I don't think so. I believe the monitor will simply display what you "feed" it but I suppose it depends on the monitor in question.

That's what I was afraid of. Bummer.I guess I'll buy one from a lcoal box store. It'll cost a few bucks more but I can return it if it doesn't work out with time to make another plan by Super Bowl Sunday.

It will display a picture, but it won't be the correct height and width...think smaller.

Rope

I'd be curious how it handles the 1080i. If you check the specs, it should show you the resolutions it will accept. Since no scaling is required for 1080i, only de-interlacing, if it accepts the resolution, it will display fine. Also, I have had LCD monitors w/ "stretch" options before, also. I don't know about my current ones.

John

Back