• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Confused on Receiver display

bmwuk

I had not seen the PCM, Dolby Digital, etc display on my receiver since owning it.

Now when I play a UHD disc on my Sony X1000ES I can't figure out why it indicates PCM. I didn't change the settings that I'm aware of. Now the decoder shows PLIIx. Annoyed right now

Okay, so I started messing with the output settings for audio on the Sony X1000-ES and everything is working and I'm seeing Dolby TrueHD when I play Atmos (receiver doesn't do Atmos) and DTS HD when playing that. Now cable box programs show Dolby Digital and Netflix and Amazon with Dolby Digital+

I am completely perplexed why I've never seen the audio format in all my time until now. Was a button pressed to display it? I thought I tried many buttons and I was annoyed by the receiver and not showing the format playing.

Maybe the old - and new before you tweaked it - players were internally converting to multichannel PCM, instead of transmitting the original encoding? A lot of players have that option in order to be compatible with older receivers that don't have the current formats.

Okay I figured out one aspect which I wouldn't have noted since you need to hit Info on the Yamaha AV remote. This toggles the text from input , decoder setting and other. I used my harmony for activities so the info button was for the Blu Ray or TV, contingent on macro. But I did note the UHD input indicated PCM before I messed with the UHD player's settings. Now I see Dolby TrueHD or DTS etc. I think possibly the setting was off for UHD audio output. I feel dumb if it was

Eh. I have a sony as well and its menus and language in the settings are definitely not always crystal clear as to what they actually are doing.

Back