• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Connect directly to TV or A/V receiver

nelmr

In the past I always connected to the TV unless, if it didn't have enough inputs, as this was should have provided the best PQ. Now though I think I have a reason to connect to the receiver. Basically the OSD is over HDMI, including volume level. So If I connect directly to the TV, I loose this.

I do have a few questions:
1) If the source is outputting 1080P via HDMI, then connecting to the receiver shouldn't pose a problem right. It's just digital in digital out.
2) For my component sources, the DVD player is 480P and the Xbox is 1080P. I can chose to up convert the 480 to 1080 out of the HDMI. I'm not sure if it would be preferable for the TV to just receive 480P via HDMI. The xbox on the other hand should just be a digital to analog conversion.

The chip in the receiver is the ABT 2010, which from what I hear is a really good chip. Should I assume this would be as good if not better than my TV's video processor (Sharp 52D64U).

nelmr said:
In the past I always connected to the TV unless, if it didn't have enough inputs, as this was should have provided the best PQ. Now though I think I have a reason to connect to the receiver. Basically the OSD is over HDMI, including volume level. So If I connect directly to the TV, I loose this.

I do have a few questions:
1) If the source is outputting 1080P via HDMI, then connecting to the receiver shouldn't pose a problem right. It's just digital in digital out.
2) For my component sources, the DVD player is 480P and the Xbox is 1080P. I can chose to up convert the 480 to 1080 out of the HDMI. I'm not sure if it would be preferable for the TV to just receive 480P via HDMI. The xbox on the other hand should just be a digital to analog conversion.

The chip in the receiver is the ABT 2010, which from what I hear is a really good chip. Should I assume this would be as good if not better than my TV's video processor (Sharp 52D64U).

1. If the source is 1080p, the displays native resolution is 1080p, and the Denon will pass the signal without scaling the signal, then the Denon would act as a switching device making it much easier to switch devices.

2. If your display is native 1080p then you need to decide by trial, which component has the best video scaling. The DVD player, PS3, Denon, or the display. The display will have the final say in resolution, unless one of your components can upscale the 480p signal to 1080p (native resolution of the display). When the display sees and incoming signal that is 1080p (interpolation has already taken place, .i.e. the missing lines of resolution have been added) the display will do very little if any scaling. Although that will depend on the setting of the display.

IMO the Denon with the Anchor Bay processing would be the way to go.

Rope

Well as regards HD in the PS3 and Xbox everything looks great no mater what I do.

With regards SD on the DVD player. The worst setting by far was with the DVD player set to 480P and the Receiver upscaling to 1080P. Next best was 480P with no scaling (letting the TV do it). Best setting was DVD set to 480i and let the receiver convert to 480P. I guess the Receiver has better I/P converters.

Is it possible to set your DVD player so it's disc direct, meaning the DVD player does not scale the picture to any resolution, i.e. 480i, 480p, 580i, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p? If so, sent the raw signal to the Denon, let the Anchor Bay chip set scale the picture to the native resolution of your display.

One more question, do you have enhancement setting in the display (Sharp) turned on? If you so, turn them off, the less scaling taking place the better. Meaning, it's useless to have the DVD player scale the signal, the Denon, and lastly the display. Again, if the display's native resolution is 1080p and the Denon scales the video signal to 1080p, the display should recognize the incoming signal (from the Denon) as 1080p and do nothing but display the video. The exception would be if you have enhancements enabled on the display, it would0 then scale the signal again, even though it's 1080p.

Possibly the most difficult task a scaler can undertake is upconverting a 480i/p signal to 1080p. It's literally having to add the additional lines of resolution from 480 to 1080 and interprit what those lines of missing resolution should look like.

Rope

Back