• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Connections DVD to prepro

Snake Doctor

Here is a nice rookie question - I think I know the answer but want to run it by you guys before I do it. I have a Sony BDP-S770 DVD player that I want to play CD's with. An HDMI cable runs from the DVD player to the pre/pro and for audio/video it works great; however, when I want to play a cd and leave the tv off I get nothing, nada, zilch.

What I think I need to do is run an optical cable from my DVD player to the CD optical on my pre/pro and all would be well. That would mean I have two cables running from the DVD to the pre/pro - would that be the solution and would there be a problem? I am not sure if both out lets would be active on the DVD player, I am pretty sure one of the Inputs on the pre/pro would be inactive depending if I was watchd a dvd or listening to a cd.

Whataad ya think? :angry-banghead:

Ah, good ol' HDCP at its finest. Gotta love it. :eusa-whistle:

Connecting an optical cable will indeed solve your TV needing to be on dilemma.

Except that optical (or digital coax) can't send the full lossless surround from an SACD... at least, I don't think it can do the DSD streaming, and certainly not uncompressed lossless 5.1. For playing CDs, that's not an issue, and you should be fine. I'm just thinking of my own quest to do this for SACD without the TV being on (which so far I'm unable to do).

Yeah, you might have issues with the DVD player being confused about which output to use, too - probably depends on the player brand... not sure, I'd be curious to know if you can get that to work!

PaulyT said:
Except that optical (or digital coax) can't send the full lossless surround from an SACD... at least, I don't think it can do the DSD streaming, and certainly not uncompressed lossless 5.1. For playing CDs, that's not an issue, and you should be fine. I'm just thinking of my own quest to do this for SACD without the TV being on (which so far I'm unable to do).

Yeah, you might have issues with the DVD player being confused about which output to use, too - probably depends on the player brand... not sure, I'd be curious to know if you can get that to work!

I am trying to figure out if I can ge Pandora to play through that as well. I love music and don't think Pandora gives the best translation of sound - they sure have a lot more music than I do and it is a lot cheaper too.

I will let you know how the cd thing turns out.

Connect the optical cable and all should be fine. You will want to run the optical cable to a different input on your pre/pro than the one the blu-ray's input is connected to (such as CD instead of DVD). That will resolve the issue Pauly mentioned. BTW, just to state the obvious: Whenever you want to use it as a CD player, you will select the CD input and whenever you want to watch a movie, you'll select the DVD/BD input (or whatever they are named respectively).

I'm 99% sure that you can play Pandora that way because I'm really sure that I used to have my BD player connected to the TV via HDMI and to an older receiver via optical back when Jan and I lived in our apartment.

FWIW, the original point of your original post is one of the reasons I still recommed a plain ol' regular CD player/changer in a system. It's just easier to deal with.

John

Right, but that assumes the player will always output audio via both cables... maybe most of them do this anyway, I don't have enough experience to know.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist but I don't know of a player that doesn't have all of its outputs live.

Zing said:
I'm not saying it doesn't exist but I don't know of a player that doesn't have all of its outputs live.

I agree, it is the inputs that are alive or not according to the components you are listening too.

PaulyT said:

I got it to work without any problems. I ran an optical cable from my DVD player to my prepro then let my prepro know to switch to CD (not DVD) when I wanted to listen to music and which input the optical was coming in then; Waa-Laa music. It was a piece of cake.

Now I am waiting on my cable from Blue Jeans to see it I can get my prepro to turn on the amp.

This afternoon decided to hide all of my wiring now my other half will be pleased. I know I didn't do much but I just love messing with this stuff and trying to tweek it just a little bit more. :banana-rock: :banana-dance:

Great! Yeah, even these little details can be fun - at least when it works. :laughing:

Back