• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Cool new Android MP3/PMP Players from Samsung

Kazaam

Well-Known Member
Not yet available in North America, but I presume there's a good chance we'll see them someday.

The smaller player has a 4-inch screen. But I'd really like to play around with the 5-inch model! The way I use my current iPod, it'd still be small enough to be portable. Yet, the slightly larger size of the 5-inch model would hopefully make web browsing more enjoyable. Though, at only 800x480, it has fewer pixels than the current iPod Touch (which is 960x640 crammed into a tiny 3.5" screen). Hmmm.... maybe Apple should make an iPod Touch with a larger screen to compete, too.

http://gizmodo.com/#!5797918/the-galaxy-s-wi+fi-is-a-4+inch-or-5+inch-android-ipod-touch

 

Kazaam

Well-Known Member
Looks like these things are finally getting a US release. Didn't come close to the Spring date, but according to this article you will be able to buy them starting October 16th.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetreviews/samsung-galaxy-player-50-40-hit-stores-october-16/27649

The 5-inch model interests me. Though, the 800x400 resolution concerns me slightly for internet browsing. By comparison, the current 4th gen iPod Touch has almost twice as many pixels at 960x640, which in my experience has plenty of pixels to render most web pages fully. It's just that the iPod's screen at only 3.5 inches is so tiny.

My other concern is that my truck radio can control iPods, but not other MP3 players. But that's not Samsung's fault, of course. And if ever I get a new vehicle someday, or replace the current radio, I'm sure it'll be compatible with the Samsung. We'll see, I guess. I'm not buying anything anytime soon, anyway. But hope to soon see the Galaxy Player 5 in Best Buy just to mess around with it.
 

-B-

Well-Known Member
Kazaam said:
Looks like these things are finally getting a US release. Didn't come close to the Spring date, but according to this article you will be able to buy them starting October 16th.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetreviews/samsung-galaxy-player-50-40-hit-stores-october-16/27649

The 5-inch model interests me. Though, the 800x400 resolution concerns me slightly for internet browsing. By comparison, the current 4th gen iPod Touch has almost twice as many pixels at 960x640, which in my experience has plenty of pixels to render most web pages fully. It's just that the iPod's screen at only 3.5 inches is so tiny.

My other concern is that my truck radio can control iPods, but not other MP3 players. But that's not Samsung's fault, of course. And if ever I get a new vehicle someday, or replace the current radio, I'm sure it'll be compatible with the Samsung. We'll see, I guess. I'm not buying anything anytime soon, anyway. But hope to soon see the Galaxy Player 5 in Best Buy just to mess around with it.


Only thing I have come across that controls anything else is the SYNC from Ford which controls my Zune to a degree, but not like many iPod controlling radios that are able to do search functions. It just plays random and gives you the ability to skip....you'd think that Microsoft would have made Sync be able to control full functionality of the Zune.

I've resigned to the fact it will be many, many years before any other hand held device will have the options allowed by the iPod. Bluetooth streaming is probably the best option other than, but iPod contol via the radio is nice.....pioneer even makes an app radio specifically for iPods and iPhones. Not even Sony makes their HU's control their mp3 players, just iPods.
 

Kazaam

Well-Known Member
Hmmm... That's a bit of a bummer to hear that perhaps non-iPod control isn't yet quite as common as I had thought.
 

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
Kazaam said:
Hmmm... That's a bit of a bummer to hear that perhaps non-iPod control isn't yet quite as common as I had thought.


It's depressing to say the least. What bothers me is Apple seems to be more and more like a Bose type company where your average joe thinks it's the only thing out there that's any good. I've been asked more than once if my EVO was a iPhone simply because it has a touch screen on it.

The really sad part is I may jump to the dark side now that Sprint will carry the iPhone. Sure I don't like iTunes, I'm a semi-hater of Apple, but Android tends to be buggy and there's no where near the support in accessories for Zune/Windows and Droid products like there are for Apple.
 

Kazaam

Well-Known Member
Yesfan70 said:
The really sad part is I may jump to the dark side now that Sprint will carry the iPhone. Sure I don't like iTunes, I'm a semi-hater of Apple, but Android tends to be buggy and there's no where near the support in accessories for Zune/Windows and Droid products like there are for Apple.

I'm kind of a semi-fan of Apple stuff, so it wouldn't pain me to get an iPod Touch. It's just that so far they don't quite have the perfect device for me. (The iPod Touch is really close, but I want a slightly larger screen and---preferably---128GB of storage). So... Nobody does, unfortunately.

This Samsung 5-incher has the screen size I desire, but has some major shortfalls. My biggest worry is the lower pixel count for when browsing the web. Second concern is that it'd max out at only 40GB even after spending another $50.00 on a 32GB microSD card. (And then there's still the whole thing about not being able to control it with the head unit in my car. Not to mention the recent Android-hate, lately.)

I guess it's all about compromises at this point. (That is, since I'm looking at pocketable MP3 and video players that also double as miniature Internet and occasional gaming devices.) Though, I would feel a lot better going with the smaller screen if Apple would announce a 128GB capacity iPod Touch. Doubt it happens this year, though. Probably never, what with all this talk about "the Cloud". (I don't want to rely on the cloud. Give me larger on-device physical storage! At least they've got a 64GB model, but I want---NEED?---more!!!!)

On the bright side, I've got other things to spend money on. So I can keep window shopping for now and avoid having to choose a PMP that could turn out to be "the wrong one".
 

yromj

Well-Known Member
The one thing that Apple has w/ the iPods that nobody else has (yet...but maybe someday) is the level of integration w/ the various accessories. So many different products offer either native support or support through an add-on device that it makes it appealing. I'm still not willing to go to the dark side, though.

John
 
Top