• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Corner Stand for Flat Panel

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
When we changed one of our spare bedrooms to a sitting room, we purchased a Samsung LCD TV (which I HATE).

We could not find a corner stand with the dimensions that we needed so I built this one. Nothing fancy, built like the flexi rack that Yesfan and Wardsweb (except it is not flexi because it is built with Oak Dowels). Anyway, I used cheap ass Chinese Hardwood Plywood from Home Disappointment and filled the edges with a vinyl spackle.

It came out okay.........I know where the mistakes are, but it serves the purpose.

Attachments

• 1102160003.JPG
    1102160003.JPG
    961.8 KB · Views: 560
If that door is swung open too fast or hard, can the door knob contact the screen?

Zing - no the door is a closet door and the door will hit the stand before the knob will hit the screen.

PaulyT - Thanks for the compliment!

I like it.

As an (extremely) novice woodworker I'd like to know what you think you did wrong, or would do differently if you were to build another one.

Here were the issues/constraints:

1. I do not own a table saw (have been thinking about buying one for about 20 years) so all the long ripped and cross cuts were done with my Porter Cable Circular Saw with guides. Never could get the shelves identical.

2. I used my 20+ year old Makita (miter) Chop Saw to cut the dowels to the proper length, but did not take the time to set up a proper stop so multiple tries to get them the identical length.

3. I had trouble drilling the oak dowels exactly in the center (hand held drill) and also had trouble with the drill bit not staying perfectly in the hole (do to the hardness of the oak), therefore the hardware was loose on a couple so I had to use glue (I did not want to use glue because I wanted to be able to unscrew if I wanted to change the stand).

4. Use a higher grade plywood, then that cheap shit!

So some of the issues were lack of the proper tools and.or operator error. All in all it worked and looks like a 7 on a scale from 1 - 10. The wife is happy with it though.

gimme all those tools you just mentioned, and i still wont be able to cut for sh*t.

thats an awesome stand man, the only thing that did worry me was the door knob thingy.

great worksmanship buddy!

That's nice.

And a good idea for when I eventually have to move to Mom's and have to put a 50" plasma in a corner where a 40" CRT currently sets.

Thanks again guys!

I have dabbled with wood working for most of my life and enjoy it!

I have also made a pretty nice DVD Stand, which is full right now (need different storage options).

A built in cabinet including the doors in our Laundry Room and a cedar blanket chest, just to name a few.

I have also done various framing, drywall, plumbing, electrical and masonry work and have saved thousands of dollars over the past many decades (this is how I justify the expense for the latest 5.1 upgrade). I hear that I take after my Grandfather on my Dad's side. He passed when I was 5.

To add to the list I have rebuilt various small block Chevy Engines, various Automobile Motor Repairs; not body work or paint. Did some fiberglass work on my Speedboat back in the 80's as well.

I am not afraid to tackle much.

Just a jack of all trades, but a Master of None!! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

as a gemini, i too am a jack of all tradese and master of none... :D

of course, even my horoscope is in question nowadays... :D

anyways, i guess thats one thing i want to learn to do - woodworking.

once i get my own house, id love to invest in a good table, a good saw et al...

its one of those americana things, to show up and pretend like you've learned a million things via 'this old house' shows.

Looks great.

One of the tricks my Grandfather used, when a hole for a screw joint became to loose for the screw to work, use two or three tooth picks and white elmers glue. Spread the glue on the tooth picks, insert into the hole, put the screw back in place but don't screw full tension. After glue sets, then apply tension on screw. This allows you to get the screw back out and reinsert as needed.

malsackj said:
Looks great.

One of the tricks my Grandfather used, when a hole for a screw joint became to loose for the screw to work, use two or three tooth picks and white elmers glue. Spread the glue on the tooth picks, insert into the hole, put the screw back in place but don't screw full tension. After glue sets, then apply tension on screw. This allows you to get the screw back out and reinsert as needed.

:text-bravo:

Back