• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Crap....new amp needed

jamhead

I hooked up my garage speakers last weekend and so far, they're great. I currently have an older Onkyo 2 channel amp driving them with the source being an mp3 player. The mp3 player is hooked up directly to the amp using a 3.5mm to RCA plug. I noticed yesterday that one speaker has very little sound coming out of it and sound EXTREMELY distorted while the other is fine. This has been an intermittent problem with this amp when I had it hooked up to drive these speakers on my patio in our last house.

I haven't spent much time troubleshooting the problem, and I may spend a little time today (switching inputs and speaker wire). Due to the longevity of the problem, I doubt it's a connection issue and, although it could be a speaker, it doesn't sound like it is.

Anyone have any ideas on an amp I could use? It'll be in the garage, so for this reason I was thinking of a pro amp (unfavorable conditions) but I would ideally like an auto-on feature so when I turn the mp3 player on, the amp turns on as well (it's on a shelf that's quite high and would be troublesome to manually turn on).

I'm thinking Behringer (may be too expensive) or possibly an Audiosource amp. My main desire is enough power to crank these during little block parties so they could be heard in the street. My speakers are JBL's, so are fairly sensitive. Any ideas? Also, being these are outdoors, not sure on the power requirements....if 80watts is enough.

Thanks gents.

Thanks MZ. I like it for the garage...but really would like to keep it closer to 100 than 200.

jamhead said:
Thanks MZ. I like it for the garage...but really would like to keep it closer to 100 than 200.

The price has gone up quite a bit relatively speaking. I bought mine for about $125 several years ago.

EDIT: I don't think you are going to find something decent in the $100 range.

Jam,

I have the same issue. I need a 100-200 stereo amp with auto on for my 2.1 setup in my bedroom.

Quick update.

Cleaned the gain dial and appears to be working for now. I'll just have to see how long it'll work.

As a side note....picked up a new electronic dartboard yesterday off of craigslist. The retail was 200 bucks (on sale now at amazon for 125) for 40 bucks. So, gonna hang it today and get the wall prepared for darts.

Have tunes and darts in the garage....woo-hoo! Now the kegerator!!!

Glad you got it working...

For a garage amp I'd visit local pawn shops. It seems like there are always more than a few amps pawned by wannabe DJs.

Several listed on Audiogon in your price range - you'd have to research for those models that have the auto-on feature, however.

Flint said:
I use a Class D T.AMP as my utility amp.

Good idea Towen.

I thought about that Flint, as I was looking on parts express.....but the power was my concern. I assume 15 watts should be enough, but I just didn't know.

I looked on A-gon, and may have to revisit if the amp starts failing again.

With speakers having a sensitivity of more than 87dB SPL, 15W will get you at 100dB in the room. 15W won't give you concert levels, but it will be very liud compared to any boombox.

Jam -

Before you cleaned the volume pot, was there a static, or scratchy sound when adjusting the volume?

Rope

Rope said:
Jam -

Before you cleaned the volume pot, was there a static, or scratchy sound when adjusting the volume?

Rope

Yes.

Only when I adjusted the gain on the amp. I typically leave it at max level and adjust the volume with the mp3 player.

jamhead said:
Rope said:
Jam -

Rope

Yes.

Only when I adjusted the gain on the amp. I typically leave it at max level and adjust the volume with the mp3 player.

Appears you've cured the problem for the time being. If in the future it gives you heart burn, take out the volume pot (if it's not sealed) and with good electrical contact cleaner (non residue) clean hell out of it.

I had a similar issue with switches (switch between balanced and unbalanced) on my then Bryston amp. Pulled the switches out, cleaned them up with ECC. Worked like a champ.

Rope

Back