• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Crown DriveCore

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
Do any of you guys have experience with these Class D amps?

The price point and the power of these is very tempting to try. There seems to be a bunch using them in Home Theater Applications.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrIKOWJnlqM[/youtube]

I use a Behringer EP4000 with my Danley Sound Labs DTS-10 subwoofer. Rocks the house. With pro gear you do have to take into consideration that most are fan cooled. Noise may be an issue depending on the amps placement.

I have not used any D class amps with a stereo setup for music listening.

They are very popular in live music, haven't seen anyone use one in a HT.

^ There are quite a few threads over at the AVS Forum with guys using them in HT.

Many of the self-powered speakers are using digital amps, and nearly all subwoofer amps are digital.

They are VERY good these days and I would argue that most people would have a hard time hearing any difference between a digital amp and an equivalently priced traditional analog/solid state amp.

But, the cost benefits of digital amps for similar performance at moderate power levels are slim to none, so there is no real advantage. Where they shine are for low power and very small and extremely high power and light. In the 50 to 150 watt range, it is hard to get any real benefit with digital, except weight and efficiency - and most HT buffs don't care about either of those things.

^ so a Parasound A23 @ $995; 125W vs. a Crown XLS 1500 @ $299; 300W Should indeed sound the same?

I am asking these questions, because of course I have an amplifier problem.

I hooked up an older Parasound HCA-1000A and it sounds great. I spoke to Parasound Tech support and they indicated that the HCA is a comparable amp to the A23. The Parasound Classic Series is a Step Down to both. The wife approved the A23 purchase, however being frugal................

After reading about this Crown Series and that some are using them in HT applications, and love them. I figured I would ask here.

I may buy one from my local Guitar Center and try to compare to the HCA Series, they have a 30 day return policy. If I do, I will report what I think.

I appreciate everyone's input.

heeman said:
^ so a Parasound A23 @ $995; 125W vs. a Crown XLS 1500 @ $299; 300W Should indeed sound the same?

I am asking these questions, because of course I have an amplifier problem.

I hooked up an older Parasound HCA-1000A and it sounds great. I spoke to Parasound Tech support and they indicated that the HCA is a comparable amp to the A23. The Parasound Classic Series is a Step Down to both. The wife approved the A23 purchase, however being frugal................

After reading about this Crown Series and that some are using them in HT applications, and love them. I figured I would ask here.

I may buy one from my local Guitar Center and try to compare to the HCA Series, they have a 30 day return policy. If I do, I will report what I think.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Nope. The Parasound will likely sound better to you.

My statement was clear - for the same money and power output, the two technologies could sound the same. Your example is neither the same money nor power output.

The costs of manufacturing a good analog amp have gone up, so the more expensive A23 is the replacement for the HCA1000. Sucks, but thems the facts.

If you can afford the Parasound, get that. If that is simply too much to take, the Crown will function, but it will not be as good.

The XLS 2500 is 12 lbs roughly. 400 watts 8 ohm.

The Carvin FET 450 is 38 lbs and 150 watts 8 ohm.

Live sound likes the light and good sound. But the Generators tend to kill the switching power supplies, Seen this twice now and I will not work generator shows now.

Been looking at the behringer inuke 4-6000

400 watt x 4 channel. 8 ohm. two of these 8 channel 400 watt ?

Will the power in the outlets be enough ??

Back