• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Curved Screen TV's gimmick or benefit?

mzpro5

Famous
Looking at an upgrade to my TV in the basement. Samsung has been very good for me and am looking at a Samsung UN65JU6700 Curved 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV.

What benefits if any does the curved screen provide? Or is it just a gimmick? Also it seems like everything is LED. Are new model plasma TV's non-existent?

With a TV screen, it is more a matter of taste; some people like the curved look, some don't. With a computer monitor application it actually can have some benefit as the far edges of the screen are more closely the same distance and angle from your eye as the center. This improves uniformity of color and light output across the total screen area. This is more important in things like photo color correction and video color timing than in something as simple as web surfing.

I think most are in agreement that a curved screen, especially at the sizes that are out there right now, are pretty much just a gimmick, Jeff. There have been a few new tv purchases here over the last couple of months, and I believe all of them decided to save the money and just go with a flat screen.

I'm in the camp that says "not just a gimmick, but a STUPID one." Maybe if you're talking over 100" wall size displays you're sitting pretty close to, but where most of us are concerned, I just don't see the point. Once you're far enough back that you're not equidistant from the points on that curve, it starts just looking stupid to me. IMO, it's like the 3DTVs... yeah, you can make a case where it's worthwhile, but that's just not how most of us use our TVs. I'd rather get a bigger one than a curved one.

On Amazon (where I have bought 2 TV's in the past) the curved 65" is $500.00 less than the regular flat screen.

How about everything being LED and no plasma?

LED has gotten pretty damn good, but the best today is OLED. That said, OLED is pricey.

I think there's an argument that could be made that the curve benefits the best seat in the house, dead center at the perfect distance based on screen size....other than that I don't see any way it can't hurt nearly all off axis viewing for everyone else in the viewing field.

Batman said:
I think there's an argument that could be made that the curve benefits the best seat in the house, dead center at the perfect distance based on screen size....other than that I don't see any way it can't hurt nearly all off axis viewing for everyone else in the viewing field.

Go look at everyone buying a curved TV and feel pity for them, as they are alone... all alone.

^^ Nah, while I was simply stating my opinion, I really couldn't care less. I'm not going to rip or scold someone for buying one. I'm not gonna walk into someone's home who owns one and chuckle to myself inside. To each his own. I should also add that I have a curved projection screen, but it's 125" diagonal. My opinion above pertains to sets ~65-70" and below.

Furthermore, I'll also clarify that I think that for off-axis viewing on a small curved screen vs a flat screen, that the far side performance will improve while the near side performance will drop off. :twocents-mytwocents:

Back