• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Danley vs. SVS and HSU

lakedmb

I was wondering if anyone here has compared the Danley DTS-10 to either the SVS PB-13 Ultra or HSU VTF-15H?

I got to listen to a pair of Danleys this weekend and while they were extremely loud and played low, they were turned up a bit loud to really get in a good listening session. I haven't listened to either the SVS or HSU models listed above to compare myself.

lake, you are aware of just how big and powerful the Danley DTS-10 sub is aren't you? I have seen many pics of them over at AVS and they are not for the faint of heart. If I recall Wardsweb has the DTS-10 and he loves the sub, but he also has a pretty big room to fill the space.

I would think you would need a very large space and a very excepting woman to want that beast in your house.

I was correct Wardsweb has one, here's a pic of it to kinda give you a hint as to how big this sub is. Hint it's the big Mutha F'ing block of wood in the background against the drapes.

prodigy06.jpg

Yeah I am aware of the size. We are beginning to finish out our basement and will have a dedicated theater, won't be the biggest theater but will be 16Wx25Lx10H. The sub will be hidden within the room. I was mainly curious about its performance compared to the SVS and HSU.

A local friend of mine has a pair of Danleys but I haven't heard the SVS or HSU to make a comparison.

You know what they say, size matters. If it does and that thing in the corner is it I'd say it probably sounds the part. What are the prices like? Maybe for the dollar the latest HSU beats it, be interested to know as I know what two of them sound like and you'd be hard pressed to top that for the $.

Right now Danley has the kit on sale again until September for under $1,100. Now the only catch is no amp included so in the end I think one would be looking at $1,400 roughly.

lakedmb said:
I think one would be looking at $1,400 roughly.
Time to take the diy route my friend. ;)

You can probably build a nice pair of conventional subs for 2/3 of that price. Depending on the quality of driver and type of amp powering them plus the configuration of system, you can have a real kick ass low frequency performance.

And when you do build it, we would appreciate some step by step pics. :eusa-whistle:

I have used many subs in the past: dual Carver, single M&K, dual 18" BassMaxx B1 horns and now the sinlge Danley DTS-10. It is fast enough for music with an nice open airy quality to the bass. It is dynamic down to almost 10Hz for movie impact and I do mean impact. When watching Tron I run it 15dB down to keep from shaking the entire house. I like it very much.

Here is a page on the build: http://wardswebllc.com/Danley_DTS10/

You will note the last picture shows the sub now in the next room. It fires through an opening in the wall. It is hidden behind the curtain in the den.

DIYer said:
lakedmb said:
I think one would be looking at $1,400 roughly.
Time to take the diy route my friend. ;)

You can probably build a nice pair of conventional subs for 2/3 of that price. Depending on the quality of driver and type of amp powering them plus the configuration of system, you can have a real kick ass low frequency performance.

You know, that is a good idea. I do have two 12" drivers from SVS that are just sitting in boxes. Now I just need a good design.

Have a question about the Danley Wards. The way you describe it having a nice open airy quality. So do you get the real fullness that SVS subs seem to have? I have heard some of the entry/mid level subs and there is a fullness to their sound that I really love.

I need to spend another day at my friends house giving them a more critical listening session.

Just get you some Dr.Dre Beats headphones......all the bass you could ever need :happy-smileygiantred:

lakedmb said:
Have a question about the Danley Wards. The way you describe it having a nice open airy quality. So do you get the real fullness that SVS subs seem to have? I have heard some of the entry/mid level subs and there is a fullness to their sound that I really love.

I need to spend another day at my friends house giving them a more critical listening session.
I would say first we need to get on the same page as to what the terms "airy" and "fullness" mean to us. For me airy and open is a way to describe non directional notes that fill a room. It has a presence you hear and fell, call it depth you can walk into, that surrounds you. Think of how music sounds in the next room heard through an open door, like listening through a veil. Now how the sound changes as you walk through that door; it opens up.

The bass honr is fast enough for music that denotes it is not a one note wonder or room thumper. It adds dynamics, depth and richness to music and sound tracks. Jet engines that rumble the furniture, explosions that shake the walls and still have the ability to articulate an upright bass in a natural "real" sound.

For me a bass horn and a box horn: be it sealed, ported, Nth order, etc... They are different animals. Like most things with sound, people have a preference for how they like to hear it.

So is fullness a range of frequency, the ability to go very low, or simple dynamics? Maybe your fullness = my richness. A tonal quality with extended range.

Wardsweb, I think i just came with that description.

Scuz me whilst I go get a wetnap Matt.

Back