• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

DCI SW Championship in San Antonio

Barney

Longhorns, Cowboys, Spurs, & Rangers...love Texas
Family went to Drum Corps International Southwestern World Championship in San Antonio at the Alamodome. It was an all day event. As most know my son plays drums (and piano).
We had the best time. Watching different matching drum corps was wonderful. They are amazing.
The competition will next be in Atlanta, Ga on July 25th. Deacon or anybody else, if you get a chance.
Nothing like drums & brass along with dancers.....the beat/music is outstanding.
The event started at 2pm and finished about 11:30pm. There was 28 Corps competing.
My son has me hooked on drum corp. Wished I could afford to have my son try out.

Re: DCL SW Championship

I love DCI!!!

I've been to the competition in San Antonio a dozen times and actually marched with the Cadets back in the 1980s. For music lovers like me those championship shows are amazing and often bring out eurphoric emotions unlike anything else.

Flint said:
I love DCI!!!

I've been to the competition in San Antonio a dozen times and actually marched with the Cadets back in the 1980s. For music lovers like me those championship shows are amazing and often bring out eurphoric emotions unlike anything else.
There were times I had tears in my eyes. What a high it was.

Flint, was that the Cadets from Allentown, PA ? If so, they got 1st place with 87.625 points. My son & I were rooting for Bluecoats which only placed 4th with 85.625 pounts. I met a gentleman that marched for the Cavaliers from Rosemount IL. Back in 1974 & 1975. He now lives in Dallas.
There was a corps called Jubal from Dordrecht, The Netherlands.

Bump
Hey Flint, the DCI championship started now and will be broadcast live tomorrow & Sat. We bought the access to watch it. Going to use our chromcast. Go Bluecoats !
If interested their site is DCI.org

I have a friend who marched in the bluecoats. They used to play lots of jazz music in those days and had the best brass section.

Just got the chills from

Spirit of Atlanta
You would be proud Deacon of your drum corps from Atlanta.

Break time....need some sweet tea .
Last leg of the semi's. Nothing but the "Big Boys & Girls".
Go. BLUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuE !

Hey Barney..............sounds like you are having a blast, no pun intended!!

Enjoy the weekend!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

heeman said:
Hey Barney..............sounds like you are having a blast, no pun intended!!

Enjoy the weekend!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:
I'm hooked on Drum Corps now. We're going to see about our son trying out for Austin Genesis. They are a new corps.
We will be going every year to the DCI in San Antonio & hope they don't move elsewhere.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi_-UHXR-xA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12gds8X91E4[/youtube]

Down to 12 corps today. Inthe semi's yesterday there were 25.
Out Bluecoats are in 3rd place, don't seem em winning but good chance to get 2nd
Towen, we're talking about our son trying out for Genesis.

By the way, Blue Devils have the youngest snare drum player (he was 12 in 2011 when he made the corps but he couldn't march. You have to be 15 to 21).

Bluecoats got 3rd, Carolina Crown got 2nd, and Blue Devils won.
But facebook/twitter/internet is going nuts.....Crown Owned the field this weekend, was in 1st at semi's yesterday.
My son will be following the action.
Blue Devils haven't finished under 5th in over 40 yrs.

:happy:
We paid for the whole season this summer to watch all the DCI competitions that are covered live.
If anyone has a child in band and there is a competition in your area, ya'll need to go. Example, when there is the competition in San Antonio, every football field in the surrounding area a Corps is practicing, both High School and at least 2 middle school fields are taken here in Kyle.
My son is almost physically ready, loosing body fat & getting stronger and will be practicing marching with his tenors on a parking lot during 100° temps starting in a couple weeks (yes, 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week till school starts).

Just another proud dad talking, last summer we paid for Genesis Corps camp for our son. After the camp he was one of a few invited for a try-out on tenor. But Justin decided to not go because he was young, and a little out of shape to compete with 18 to 20 year olds that are built like Greek Gods.
He is thinking about it again this coming winter for the next tryouts but not sure what Corps.

Back