• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Dear Lawd - Oppo 103D!

bmwuk

I had no idea what I was missing in a Blu-Ray player until I used this unit with my new television. The Darbee feature is absolutely mesmerizing and breathtaking on how it can bring out more detail (blown away).

For instance, using the split screen for comparison, I froze a scene from X-Men: Days of Future Past with Wolverine entering in the presidential courtyard. On the right side is the effect off (not using Darbee). The picture is nice but his brown sunglass lenses are soft with no apparent reflection, his beard is soft in presentation, and his forhead shows his wrinkles, but again soft. The left side, using a Darbee setting of 80 out of 120, I can see the reflection on his sunglasses of the white chairs and people sitting there. It was so clear that I expected to see the camera filming him. His beard is well defined with each hair very apparent, and his forehead not only had wrinkles but you could see his pores.

The effect and detail isn't gimmicky, it truly details out the picture. I couldn't help but do A/B comparisons for many films including Star Wars Ep IV, Men in Black 3 (had it from Netflix) and The Dark Knight Rises. I have now fallen in love with watching movies again due to such a brilliant picture.

Yes, what CMonster mentioned. I got the player for future benefits as well (4K upscaling, etc). I just didn't see the need in a 4K unit right now but once source material becomes more available, I'll upgrade and the current unit will be in the family room or elsewhere. That of course will come with a home purchase. I'm super happy with the TV and Blu-Ray combo.

Thanks, BMWUK. I have the Oppo 103 sans the Darbee circuit, but it's available as a separate box and I've been wanting to hear a review from someone. May have to spring for it now. :handgestures-thumbup:

Rope said:
I'm holdin' out for this model.
http://darbeevision.com/dvp-5100cie

Rope
Thanks! Been researching this the past hour, all it really adds is an HDMI "handshake improvement" and a nicer-looking box, don't think I can swing $300 more just for that (plus, its release has been moved several times, now scheduled for Jan '15).
The Darblet™ DVP 5000 is on sale now at both Crutchfield and Amazon for $199, I just ordered one from Crutchfield. Anxious to try it out!

Botch said:
Rope said:

Rope
Thanks! Been researching this the past hour, all it really adds is an HDMI "handshake improvement" and a nicer-looking box, don't think I can swing $300 more just for that (plus, its release has been moved several times, now scheduled for Jan '15).
The Darblet™ DVP 5000 is on sale now at both Crutchfield and Amazon for $199, I just ordered one from Crutchfield. Anxious to try it out!

Damnit!! After watching youtube videos of it, I've had to order one as well. Wish it came with more than one input, and hopefully it works from the feed coming out of the receiver. I think Matt has one of these already and raves about it.

Rope said:
If I'm not mistaken, Matt uses a DVDO video processor.

Rope

You are probably right. I knew he was using something to enhance the video.

Huey said:
Botch said:
Rope said:

Rope

Damnit!! After watching youtube videos of it, I've had to order one as well. Wish it came with more than one input, and hopefully it works from the feed coming out of the receiver. I think Matt has one of these already and raves about it.
Hooking it up after a receiver (or whatever device does the switching) and right before the display is probably the best option for anyone looking to use multiple sources, making the single input a non-issue.

Botch,

I am interested in hearing how you like it once you get it set up.

Jeff

Agreed Jeff, but reading a few of the reviews on Amazon, there seems to be at times a handshake issue with the 500. Throw a receiver into the middle of it, and it may or may not work as advertised.

Been seriously considering the OPPO 103D. Does the unit allow you to play .avi or mp4 files from a usb input?

bmwuk said:
I had no idea what I was missing in a Blu-Ray player until I used this unit with my new television. The Darbee feature is absolutely mesmerizing and breathtaking on how it can bring out more detail (blown away).

For instance, using the split screen for comparison, I froze a scene from X-Men: Days of Future Past with Wolverine entering in the presidential courtyard. On the right side is the effect off (not using Darbee). The picture is nice but his brown sunglass lenses are soft with no apparent reflection, his beard is soft in presentation, and his forhead shows his wrinkles, but again soft. The left side, using a Darbee setting of 80 out of 120, I can see the reflection on his sunglasses of the white chairs and people sitting there. It was so clear that I expected to see the camera filming him. His beard is well defined with each hair very apparent, and his forehead not only had wrinkles but you could see his pores.

The effect and detail isn't gimmicky, it truly details out the picture. I couldn't help but do A/B comparisons for many films including Star Wars Ep IV, Men in Black 3 (had it from Netflix) and The Dark Knight Rises. I have now fallen in love with watching movies again due to such a brilliant picture.

I love my Darbee image processor.

Back