• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Debating on a new set...

lakedmb

So, we're planning on putting a new TV in the living room and moving our current TV. I keep debating what direction to go regarding the type of set, LED or plasma. I'm not worried about reflections since our current LCD has a glossy screen and reflections have been a problem at this point. So far, I have mainly been looking at Samsung since we have loved our current set.

Initially, I thought about picking up a 60" Samsung plasma that Costco has for $750, but the fear of image retention (burn-in) has prevented me from pulling the trigger.

I have also thought about a new 50" 4K unit by Samsung that I just noticed on Best Buy's website for $1500, but that would be at the far end of my budget and with the quick progression of technology I'm a bit hesitant to spend that kind of money on a TV at this point.

As far as budget goes, $1500 would be the highest I'm willing to go. Size wise, I'm wanting to stay between 50-60", we sit roughly 10ft away. Smart features and wifi aren't a deal maker or breaker.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

The image retention thing is not that big of a thing anymore. If it ever really was.

Anecdotal evidence coming up...
A friend of mine bought the top of the line Pioneer Plasma several years ago. His mom came over to babysit his 4yr old. She wanted to watch Elmo.. for about a minute. Then ran off. Grandma stopped the DVD on the main menu that was static. You can only imagine the bright red picture of Elmo. Anyway, it was playing like that for about 8 hours (more?) straight.

My friend came home, had a heart attack. Recovered, had another heart attack, recovered and then just cried because the image was burned in. He was "this" close to throwing it away.

However, after a call to tech support, or some internet surfing, he was told to leave it on a normal TV channel and the burned image eventually went away. I think it took about a day before he couldn't see any more ghosting.

I also have a plasma (a Panasonic) and I have had no issues with image burn in -- I haven't tried the Elmo exercise above, but I wouldn't sweat the issue if I were going to buy a new TV.

I'm glad to hear that burn-in is not much of an issue TKoP.

Trudge, I saw that article and I know that plasma has been on the way out for a year or more, but it seems hard to beat the quality of the picture, especially for the price.

I guess what I'm really wondering about is whether it the overall picture quality on a 4K set will be equal to a plasma set. Below are the two sets I'm really looking at closely.

Samsung 4K set

Samsung Plasma set

IMHO, size trumps most other features in a TV set for environments other than dedicated home theaters. With that in mind and the current lack of 4K content and sources I'd go with the 60" all day long.

^^
I've never heard anyone comment they wished they'd purchased a smaller screen.

Image retention is a thing of the past. With todays plasma sets you would have to intentionally attempt to burn-in the screen and even then, I'm not so certain you would succeed.

Rope

Agree with Tom and Rope.

Get the biggest one that fits and enjoy. I considered a smaller display and have never regretted getting my 60". It was more than I planned to spend but well worth it in enjoyment.

I also went plasma and was not afraid of the glare. I get a little from time to time but once again, well worth it.

Thanks for all of the advice guys! I think that I will be picking up the plasma set this weekend.

Thanks again!

Back