• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Decisions, decisions Denon 3313 or Marantz 6007 or Onkyo 818

lulimet

It's time for me to get a new receiver with the newer features like networking, internet radio, AirPlay and such. I sold my Marantz 5005 (excellent sounding unit btw) and bought a cheap Yamaha RX-V673 ($600 msrp, $360 from Best Buy). It has many of the features I wanted but I was unimpressed by the sound. I tried all possible combinations but could not get it to sound right. The center speaker sounds muffled and dialogue was hard to hear. I tried it with the YPAO on and off and the results were the same. The only time the sound is good is when I play music in 2 channel pure direct mode.
Very disappointing sound for a $600 receiver.

I have been looking at other receivers and I have raised my budget up to $700. I have narrowed it down to three receivers, Denon 3313, Marantz 6007 and Onkyo 818. The Denon is $630, the Marantz and Onkyo are $699 each. These are refurbished prices from ac4less. I have found the Denon for $649 open box from the Local Best Buy but I don't know if the warranty is still 3 years on open box items. I have to check on that.

The Onkyo has an impressive feature set and has the latest Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 auto speaker calibration (Marantz and Denon only have the MultiEQXT) but one thing that I am worried about is the high number of failures that Onkyo owners have reported, especially the HDMI boards.

The Denon has very similar features to the Marantz and is a well reviewed receiver as is the Marantz. I must say that the Marantz is a beatiful looking piece of equipment :D but looks alone will not make choose it over the others. I am kinda leaning towards the Denon right now. I want to make the right decision because this will be the only receiver for me for a while.

My sources are: Intel NUC HTPC (all my music and movies are ripped to external HDDs and played with XBMC), Xbox 360, and a Motorola Verizon cable box. That's it.

Re: Decisions, decisions ... Denon 3313 or Marantz 6007 or O

I'm surprised, and a bit disappointed, that you didn't like the sound of the Yamaha.

I don't have any experience with any of the units you mentioned, but if you liked the sound of your old Marantz, that would be my first choice. Good luck!

I loved my Onkyo 705 until I was one of the people who have experienced catastrophic failure of the HDMI board. So my suggestion would be any bot Onkyo. Ive also been looking around a bit for a new networking receiver. Ill be interested in what you settle on. I really like the Marrantz 6007 but want to look at some the Pioneer and Denons.

Well, things took an unexpected turn today (for the better I think :happy-smileygiantred: )
I went to my local Marantz/Denon dealer to see if they have any deals on any open box Denon 3313 or Marantz 6007. He didn't have any left but he offered me the new Marantz 6008 for $850 (tax included). That's $350 off MSRP on a receiver that's only been out for a month or two. I decided to go with it.

Just brought it home. I'll play with it tonight after I put the kids to sleep.
:happy-smileygiantred: :happy-smileygiantred:

:text-bravo:

Re: Decisions, decisions Denon 3313 or Marantz 6007 or Onkyo

That will be nice!

lulimet said:
I'll play with it tonight after I put the kids to sleep.
I think you're going to be one happy metalhead! :music-rockout:

The dealer treated you great! That'll be a terrific setup.

Rope

I am running out of breath every time I go on this forum lately. I think there is a vacuum. Must be all that suckage happening lately.
Congrats on the purchase.

Anxious to hear what you think of the sound.

Congrats, you Suck!

Rope said:
The dealer treated you great!
His words were, "I am going to give you the deal of the day. Money talks, BS walks. $850 with tax." :happy-smileygiantred:

Nice score!

Very nice! I've been very pleased with my Marantz reciever over the years and will stick with them next time I upgrade.

Congrats!

At Bats gtg he sold me his Marantz AV7005 preamp. I love the sound. I'm a Denon guy and since Denon and Marantz are the same company (D&M holdings). I'm used to the sound. I had an Onkyo 805 that I had to send in for bad HDMI ports. Luckily I used it for eight years and sold it for what I paid for it eight years ago.

Botch said:
Anxious to hear what you think of the sound.
Outstanding sound. As good as the Parasound separates that I had for a while. Plus it has all the features that I could want. I am really impressed and glad I went with this receiver.

Awesome. That's a fantastic receiver.

Stupid question...........is it stable to 4ohm?

I am only driving a pair of S1.4 with it. Marantz doesn't say anything about being able to drive 4 ohm speakers but it couldn't. Even the SR5005 that I had before drove my 5 Dyn speakers with no problem.

That's a great deal, and glad it's working out! Major suckage!

It's looking more and more like my next pre/pro - not that I'm planning on it anytime soon - will be a Marantz.

Back