• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Denon AH-D210 Headphones

D

Deleted member 133

At a few get-togethers I've given some members a chance to listen to one of my prized audio possessions: a set of Denon AH-D210 headphones. I've owned these for longer than I can remember (ie. 10-15 years) and bought them new for something like $70-80 Cdn at a chain hi-fi shop in the Vancouver area.

I still have the original packing material specs: 32 ohm impedance; 104dB/mW sensitivity; 5-26,000Hz frequency range. They sit on, rather than over, ear.

They are a constant traveling companion and will play loud and clean when plugged into just about any source.

I've compared them to dozens of sets over the years and have come to two conclusions: overall they sound at least as good as the majority of headphones that I have heard; and I've never heard headphones with as deep, extended, and clean bass as these. (A set of Razz' came close, but no cigar.) (On the first point I must admit that some of the few online comments that I've seen have been critical of their sound; however what I hear does not support those comments.)

One of the demo tracks that I play has a bass tone that you can literally feel with these phones - through your whole body. Not kidding. I love to have the unsuspecting listener put them on, and about 18 seconds in you see their eyes go wide, and an even wider grin break out, and you know they've just heard and felt it too.

The shame is that Denon long ago stopped making them. Another shame is that the "Y" piece that holds the ear piece to the headband can be broken fairly easily. There are no longer any replacements pieces available from Denon. (I've recently been in contact with every one of their North American repair and parts depots, as well as their head office. A year or so ago, after some TSA gorilla snapped one of mine while rummaging through my carry-on, I managed to get a seriously damaged pair of 210s from Denon Canada that they found in their shop - which I have since stripped of all usable parts. When another "Y" piece broke a month ago I used my last spare. That was almost a good thing because...

That incident caused me to do yet one more on-line search for any used ones for sale and I scored big time! Found a pair in great shape and had them delivered to my place for $60. If any of you get a chance to snag a pair, go for it. Better yet, if you see some for sale and don't want to go for it contact me immediately and I will! Hey you can't have too much of a great thing!

My only complaint, other than the fragility of that one part, is that they can become uncomfortable, physically, to the ears, after a couple of hours (sometimes less) of listening. I find a need to remove them, give the ears a good rub and a rest for a minute before resuming.

Here's a couple of pics. The "old" ones are on the left (with the replacement plug) and the close-up shows the "new" set.

Jeff Mackwood

ps. Completely on a whim I recently ordered a pair of Denon AH-D310s. They're waiting for me at my next US hotel stop in a few weeks. They're an over-the-ear model but look like they share many of the specs of the 210s otherwise. I'm curious to see how they compare.

Yesterday I learned of an eBay auction for a set of AH-D210s that closed a couple of days earlier. I contacted the seller and we'll probably do the deal tomorrow. He's asking $9.99 plus shipping. The ear pads are in rough shape but everything else is ok - meaning more spare parts!

Jeff, twice now I have had the chance to listen to your Denons and have to agree that they are some of the nicest headphones I have ever heard (especially when you played that deep bass note from Avril Levigne) I recall feeling bad for you when that TSA cracked your phones and how you wanted to strangle the fucker (guess getting on the "No-Fly" list would be a bad thing for a worldly traveller like yourself, but something I'm sure you pondered for a long time. If we ever get the chance to meet up again, I wish to hear your new Denons.

I also recall Razz, Milpool and Deerhunter really liked them also at my GTG.

MatthewB said:
Jeff, twice now I have had the chance to listen to your Denons and have to agree that they are some of the nicest headphones I have ever heard (especially when you played that deep bass note from Avril Levigne) I recall feeling bad for you when that TSA cracked your phones and how you wanted to strangle the fucker (guess getting on the "No-Fly" list would be a bad thing for a worldly traveller like yourself, but something I'm sure you pondered for a long time. If we ever get the chance to meet up again, I wish to hear your new Denons.

I also recall Razz, Milpool and Deerhunter really liked them also at my GTG.

Matt,

Sometime between your mini-GTG and now, I thought I had a lead on store in NYC that had a few brand new pairs sitting in a stock room. I finally got to talk to someone who fessed-up and admitted that they didn't - but that they kept them (and a lot of other models) listed in order to "bait and switch."

Too bad because they were listed at such a low price that I was going to buy enough to share!

Jeff

you know what i just recently realized how great that AH-D210 headphone is and i am now regretting that i didn't take much care in using it. I've been using this headphone for about 10 years without realizing its superior quality. That's until one of the ear-pieces (whatever you call it) didn't make any sound at all due to very poor handling of it. And few days later i decided to go to a shop where i can buy a replacement. GEEZ I've tested almost all of their headphones and found nothing that could make a good sound like what this headphone does!!!

I wish I had heard these two years ago at my first GTG, since then Zing has purchased the AH-D7000s and I have purchased the 2000s. These are no slouch in the bass dept. So if bass is what moves you and these 210s have lower and equal or less distorted output thats impressive...

marcjohng said:
you know what i just recently realized how great that AH-D210 headphone is and i am now regretting that i didn't take much care in using it. I've been using this headphone for about 10 years without realizing its superior quality. That's until one of the ear-pieces (whatever you call it) didn't make any sound at all due to very poor handling of it. And few days later i decided to go to a shop where i can buy a replacement. GEEZ I've tested almost all of their headphones and found nothing that could make a good sound like what this headphone does!!!

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Welcome, marcjohng! Tell us a little about yourself... ;)

Batman said:
I wish I had heard these two years ago at my first GTG, since then Zing has purchased the AH-D7000s and I have purchased the 2000s. These are no slouch in the bass dept. So if bass is what moves you and these 210s have lower and equal or less distorted output thats impressive...

yeah the bass sounds really good when you use this headphone. and it's not the only thing that makes it so awesome but the whole quality of the sound. what i'm using right now also has a more defined bass but when i increase the volume the sound becomes too painful to my ears that i cant help it but put the volume back to its normal scale. the situation is miles better when i use the denon headphone. The sound doesn't become painful when you increase the volume

PaulyT said:
marcjohng said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Welcome, marcjohng! Tell us a little about yourself... ;)

hello thanks for the warm welcome! :) are you human or a bot? lol

:D Well usually our first question is, how did you find this forum? But anything you want to say, or nothing at all, is cool...

What is the space between the y and what size and depth are the pins?

If you were to look at the other models do they use a similar design?
How about other manufacturers.

PaulyT said:
:D Well usually our first question is, how did you find this forum? But anything you want to say, or nothing at all, is cool...

Finding this forum is so easy! I just typed "DENON HEADPHONES" into the google search box and the website audioannex appeared along with the other search results. You can try it if you want to confirm. ;)

marcjohng said:
PaulyT said:

Finding this forum is so easy! I just typed "DENON HEADPHONES" into the google search box and the website audioannex appeared along with the other search results. You can try it if you want to confirm. ;)

It also works for "tiny eargasm" lol :music-listening:

malsackj said:

Good idea. Unfortunately I've not been able to find a match. The look / design of several models is similar - but not close enough dimensionally to be interchangeable. (That's also a question I asked of Denon directly.)

In any case with the acquisition of yet another spare pair to use for parts, I should be set for some time.

ps. I just picked up a new pair (in never-opened original packing) of Denon AH-D310. That model might not be made by Denon any longer but is still available through Amazon for $50. Not to be confused with the AH-D310R which have features not found on the base / original 310 that I bought. I bought these specifically out of curiosity to see how they compare to the 210. So...

Initial impressions (in random order):
- unlike the older 210 I was severely disappointed to find out that the 310 is Made in China! I never would have ordered them had I known as I avoid all things China. Too late to do anything about it.
- the cable is made of cheaper less flexible material than the 210 and seems to retain all the kinks that came with being scrunched up in the packing / box. However unlike the 210, the 310 came with an extension cable (and the gold adapter that's the same as the 210s).
- speaking of which, the packaging is that same cheap sharp-edged plastic crap that's a pain to open, and has a severe "stink" to it. China still can't do plastics!
- and the plastic parts while "beefier" on the 310 have a rough "cheap" feel to them compared to the 210.
- the 310 is an over-the-ear style that's initially uncomfortable fitting your ears into however I've been listening for an hour or more continuous and I've found that I've gotten somewhat used to them. I suspect that they will prove to be more comfortable than the 210's on-the-ear design.
- like the 210 the 310 is a low impedence design and is right now being driven to loud and clear levels by my Sony portable computer.
- as for how they sound, that's one area that does disappoint at all. I've been swapping them back and forth with the 210s and I now find the 210's to be a bit "thin" sounding in comparison. It could be a result of the two different ear piece designs. Time will tell. In any case the deep bass response appears to equal that of the 210 - which was what I was most curious to find out. I'm very happy with the sound.
- bottom line: if it were not for the Made in China fact, for their sound quality alone I'd recommend these as a great buy at $50 from Amazon.

Attachments

• 71Nwk2pox9L._AA1500_.jpg
    71Nwk2pox9L._AA1500_.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 1,586
JeffMackwood said:
malsackj said:

Good idea. Unfortunately I've not been able to find a match. The look / design of several models is similar - but not close enough dimensionally to be interchangeable. (That's also a question I asked of Denon directly.)

In any case with the acquisition of yet another spare pair to use for parts, I should be set for some time.

ps. I just picked up a new pair (in never-opened original packing) of Denon AH-D310. That model might not be made by Denon any longer but is still available through Amazon for $50. Not to be confused with the AH-D310R which have features not found on the base / original 310 that I bought. I bought these specifically out of curiosity to see how they compare to the 210. So...

Initial impressions (in random order):
- unlike the older 210 I was severely disappointed to find out that the 310 is Made in China! I never would have ordered them had I known as I avoid all things China. Too late to do anything about it.
- the cable is made of cheaper less flexible material than the 210 and seems to retain all the kinks that came with being scrunched up in the packing / box. However unlike the 210, the 310 came with an extension cable (and the gold adapter that's the same as the 210s).
- speaking of which, the packaging is that same cheap sharp-edged plastic crap that's a pain to open, and has a severe "stink" to it. China still can't do plastics!
- and the plastic parts while "beefier" on the 310 have a rough "cheap" feel to them compared to the 210.
- the 310 is an over-the-ear style that's initially uncomfortable fitting your ears into however I've been listening for an hour or more continuous and I've found that I've gotten somewhat used to them. I suspect that they will prove to be more comfortable than the 210's on-the-ear design.
- like the 210 the 310 is a low impedence design and is right now being driven to loud and clear levels by my Sony portable computer.
- as for how they sound, that's one area that does disappoint at all. I've been swapping them back and forth with the 210s and I now find the 210's to be a bit "thin" sounding in comparison. It could be a result of the two different ear piece designs. Time will tell. In any case the deep bass response appears to equal that of the 210 - which was what I was most curious to find out. I'm very happy with the sound.
- bottom line: if it were not for the Made in China fact, for their sound quality alone I'd recommend these as a great buy at $50 from Amazon.

I want taht phone so bad huhu

Back