• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Denon AH-D5000 Currently on Sale at Amazon

D

Deleted member 133

I'll cut to the chase first: they're on sale for $490; I bought a pair.

Now the longer version...

Back at Towen's Houston GTG Razz and Bats (and others) and I were gathered around Towen's kitchen table listening to tunes on a variety of headphones. Bats pulled out his Denon AH-D2000s. It was love at first listen for me: that great Denon Sound (and deep bass) and the most comfortable headphones I'd ever tried on.

From that date I looked almost daily for sales. None appeared. Typical selling price: $349.

So this morning I decided to buy a pair. Went to Amazon. When I was just about to click on the 2000s I noticed that the 5000s were on sale - marked down to $490 from $699. (At this point I went to work convincing myself that the $209 discount on the 5000s was worth the extra $141 over the 2000s. I also told myself - it's amazing how one can rationalize anything! - that the $209 discount on the 5000s was actually more than the incredible discount of $150 that Bats got on his 2000s when he bought them.)

But even with the rationalizing behind me I still was leery of jumping at the 5000s - which I'd never worn nor listened to. So I PM'd Bats and Zing and asked basically two things: would the 5000s be at least as comfortable as the 2000s; and would they sound at least as good.

Armed with their quick replies I then finalized the Amazon purchase. They'll be waiting for me in Nashville when I get there late next week.

This will be my first set of high-end headphones in .... something like 35 years!

Jeff

ps. I now have Bats to thank for being the "inspiration" behind two high-end purchases at two separate GTGs: the Denons and that wee little SVS PB13 Ultra that set me back nearly $2k (delivered)! :)

JeffMackwood said:
I'll cut to the chase first: they're on sale for $490; I bought a pair.

Now the longer version...

Back at Towen's Houston GTG Razz and Bats (and others) and I were gathered around Towen's kitchen table listening to tunes on a variety of headphones. Bats pulled out his Denon AH-D2000s. It was love at first listen for me: that great Denon Sound (and deep bass) and the most comfortable headphones I'd ever tried on.

From that date I looked almost daily for sales. None appeared. Typical selling price: $349.

So this morning I decided to buy a pair. Went to Amazon. When I was just about to click on the 2000s I noticed that the 5000s were on sale - marked down to $490 from $699. (At this point I went to work convincing myself that the $209 discount on the 5000s was worth the extra $141 over the 2000s. I also told myself - it's amazing how one can rationalize anything! - that the $209 discount on the 5000s was actually more than the incredible discount of $150 that Bats got on his 2000s when he bought them.)

But even with the rationalizing behind me I still was leery of jumping at the 5000s - which I'd never worn nor listened to. So I PM'd Bats and Zing and asked basically two things: would the 5000s be at least as comfortable as the 2000s; and would they sound at least as good.

Armed with their quick replies I then finalized the Amazon purchase. They'll be waiting for me in Nashville when I get there late next week.

This will be my first set of high-end headphones in .... something like 35 years!

Jeff

ps. I now have Bats to thank for being the "inspiration" behind two high-end purchases at two separate GTGs: the Denons and that wee little SVS PB13 Ultra that set me back nearly $2k (delivered)! :)

Yeah? Try living 10 miles from him....fucker easily cost mt $15k since I met him. His upgraditis is extremely contagious.

Ahem, this thread is about Jeff's new cans, not my influence, positive or otherwise on others...please keep on topic. :happy-smileygiantred:

:eusa-whistle:

Batman said:
Ahem, this thread is about Jeff's new cans, not my influence, positive or otherwise on others...please keep on topic. :happy-smileygiantred:

:eusa-whistle:

Unless them cans is of the female variety I ain't interested....

Great, Jeff! Looking forward to your review.

PaulyT said:
Great, Jeff! Looking forward to your review.
So I've now got a few hours of listening in on them. CDs and MP3s played on my Sony portable.

Now before anyone jumps on that arrangement, those who have listened through it (and there have been a few members) know that, provided it's not driven to silly levels, the Sony provides a very good signal. I've personally compared it to many receiver / pre headphone outputs and can detect no difference - except if driven to very high levels where it runs out of steam.

My first listening was for bass. I love how well all the Denons I own cover the bass spectrum - and the ultra lows in particular. The 5000s are no exception. They passed all my demo track tests with flying colours. No other make has ever done so well in that department.

The other very apparent "upgrade" in sound for me was the sense of "space" and "placement" that I get with the 5000s compared to the 210s that have been my travel companion for ages. No comparison. I've been swapping the two rapid fire while listening to a variety of Wilson Phillips tunes and I'm amazed at how I can now pick out, from those incredible harmonies, individual nuances in each of their voices. The 210s gives me the same harmonies - but not the nuances. Never expected to hear it but definitely can.

With nothing else to compare them to right now I guess the only other comment is that I find them to be lacking in nothing. I get no listener fatigue from their sound. And physically they are very comfortable to wear.

I do have one very very deep purchase regret. As I normally do, I checked the country of origin as best I could, and given that I was buying them sight unseen this meant reading a ton of online reviews. In every case if a country were mentioned it was "Japan" or "Japanese." Never (and here's the evil word) "China." Well guess what? Yup. "Made in China." I was pissed. I'm even more pissed at myself now that I've decided to keep them. I feel like a whore - honestly - and that's not a feeling you want when you buy a piece of gear.

And by the by, I did go through everything posted / downloadable from Denon's web site prior to purchase and there's no mention of China.

Jeff

Jeff,

Enjoy your new purchase......................

Get over where they are manufactured.....................

Oh Yea!!!!

A BIG YOU SUCK!!!

That bastard MADE ME buy a whole line up of Dynaudio Contour's for my 5.1 set up!!!!

He needs to repay us all by indulging us with a new 4k projector during his next GTG!!!

Jeff,
Great buy bro! I really envey your purchase! And it's about time you stepped up you cans!!!
... and I know I'm going to get to enjoys them next time I see you!
:music-rockout:

Razz said:
That bastard MADE ME buy a whole line up of Dynaudio Contour's for my 5.1 set up!!!!

He needs to repay us all by indulging us with a new 4k projector during his next GTG!!!

Jeff,
Great buy bro! I really envey your purchase! And it's about time you stepped up you cans!!!
... and I know I'm going to get to enjoys them next time I see you!
:music-rockout:
Well, okay...But since the new Sony is $25k, will a JVC with 4k e-shift do? :eusa-whistle:

Back