• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Designing for Burn-In

D

Deleted member 133

The engineer in me is curious. Unfortunately this engineer is mechanical, not electrical.

In mechanical engineering, but for a few situations that I can think of, most devices don't "burn-in" (ie. get better in the short term and then run at that better level for the rest of their productive lives) but rather wear out: a gradual decline in performance until component or system failure.

Car engines (at least older ones) would go through a break-in period, where things would wear into place, and then run smoothly. Supposedly performance (however one defined it) would improve during that period - although car owners were urged to not push the engine too hard less damage, more than break-in, occur.

Gas turbine engines have abradable seals: as blades get longer (material creep) they literally dig their way into the engine casing (abradable seals) thus creating a near-perfect fit whereby air / gases can't escape interacting with the blades - increasing engine performance. Abrasion is high when the engine is first run up, and then the seals continue to abrade over the rest of their lifetime as blades continue to lengthen.

In both cases the designer takes all this into account through the choice of materials and tolerances.

But what is the analog / equivalent in the electrical engineering world for audio systems. How does the designer design for "burn-in"? How does he or she ensure that that initial change is positive (ie. sound initially improves - by whatever measures) rather than negative (sound gets worse, rather than better)? What tools are available to make this happen?

Take the simplest of devices commonly used: resistors and capacitors. (And remember I'm now fast out of my depth...) These have defined specs that measure their resistance and capacitance, their power handling (voltage as well?) and a tolerance (typically a +/-). Is it that tolerance that a designer works with? (But if so, how does one know in which direction the value will drift: plus or minus?) Is there something else at play? And going beyond individual components, what about the interaction between components - if any? What about things like transistors? Is that where the magic happens? Do the manufacturers of all of the components that go into making the device each somehow characterize how their component will "burn-in" and the designer then somehow takes all of that into account somehow to ensure that the finished device burns-in correctly?

Does all this go to ensure that the end-user can rest assured that after burning in his new audio device for a clearly defined-for period of time, that it will then reach an optimum performance point, stop the burn-in process, and perform flawlessly, with no further degradation / change, for many years to come, before eventually succumbing to old age.

Call me curious.

Jeff

In the mechanical world there is also the concept of damage tolerance - which drives a given design. Take aircraft and a critical structure. With time that structure will start to develop cracks, and those cracks will eventually progress and fail. But the designer has tools at his disposal to know exactly how long (measured in cycles) those cracks will take to grow to the point where they will lead to component failure. Maintenance and inspection cycles are specified such that there is a near-certainty of catching those cracks before they reach critical - at which point repairs are made. Lap joints in Boeing 737s are a good example. Ignore the maintenance / inspection requirements and eventually the roof will quite literally come off your aircraft. But well before that point it is perfectly safe to fly with cracks throughout the joint - since we know how long it will take for those cracks to grow to critical length.

But even with this example from the mechanical world, we're not talking about an audio equivalent of burn-in. That aircraft structure is degrading from the first flight onwards - not getting better over an initial period of time.

So maybe the in-flight entertainment system is benefiting from burn-in and everyone listening to it on their supplied headsets is hearing better sound as it burns-in initially, but if you are one of those passengers looking out the window at the aircraft's wing as it flexes, don't think that the wing is also getting better with time!

Jeff

There is no burn in with electronic components. Electro-mechanical gear like speakers, tape machines, turntables etc follow the usual mechanical rules you know.

In manufacturing, products are "burned in" to weed out early failures.

Last edited:
Thanks.

It is as I was expecting - but it's great to have it confirmed by someone who actually knows!

Jeff

Back