• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Digital Audio Output Convert To Analog

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
In my quest to locate a 50" Panasonic Plasma TV, I am unable to find one with Analog Audio Output.

Being still a Stereo 2.1 System guy, I need to connect the Audio Ouput of the TV to my Stereo System.

Do any of you suggest a converter?

Most of the TV's I have been looking at have a Digital Audio Output Only.

Once again, :text-feedback:

Does your receiver accept a digital connection? If so, just use the digital connection, and that will be your converter.
Rob

I would either get the Samsung that Zing mentioned or buy a cheap a/v receiver to replace the Yamaha. A/V receivers with digital inputs are a dime a dozen now

Yesfan70 said:
I would either get the Samsung that Zing mentioned or buy a cheap a/v receiver to replace the Yamaha. A/V receivers with digital outs are a dime a dozen now

Just so there's no confusion, I'm pretty sure he meant digital inputs.

John

yromj said:
........Just so there's no confusion, I'm pretty sure he meant digital inputs.

John

Yes I did, Thanks for getting my back on that. :shock:

I meant 'inputs' Heeman, sorry about that typo. :oops:

Zing - thanks for the Samsung suggestions. Will need to research and check out there plasma TV's. I have been so impressed with the Panny that I have not even looked at the Samsung Plasmas. I do have a 27" series 4 Samsung LED that I am not impressed with at all.

Yesfan70 - If you have been following some of my other posts, I am looking to replace the Yamaha Receiver with a good analog preamp. I have a B&K Components Power amp in my system and would need Pre-outs on the receiver.
Anyother suggestions??

I see that there are converters, but they will not convert any of the Dolby Signals, which means that they are not fully functional for my application.

I am in no rush here just looking at all of my options.

Maybe I should just build that Video/Audio Room I have been dreaming of and break the band..........then there will be nothing left to wish for,,,,,,Right?? :teasing-tease:

Zing said:
Most every Samsung set provides an analog audio out. If you're not set on a Panasonic, that is.

Check it out :text-link:

Hey Zing - the Crutchfield link shows Analog Outputs, however when I look at these models on the Samsung Website, they do not!! :scared-eek:

If you already have a power amp, then I would take a look at used pre/pros like the Onkyo 885.

If you can't find a pre/pro in your range, then any mid level receiver should have pre-outs for an outboard amp. Heck, you could save even more money by going with an used receiver. For example, my Denon 3803 goes for around $300 on eBay. If HDMI isn't a priority, then a receiver like that should be more than enough.

heeman said:
Hey Zing - the Crutchfield link shows Analog Outputs, however when I look at these models on the Samsung Website, they do not!! :scared-eek:

On Page 9 of the manual for a 50" 430 series, it says it has analog audio outs. I'm guessing they simply didn't bother to mention in its list of features since the plasma buying public, by and large, is more interested in the digital future of HDMI than the vintage retro analog outs.

That said, it's been my experience that the "Hands On" section in Crutchfield is quite thorough and extremely accurate.

Zing said:
......That said, it's been my experience that the "Hands On" section in Crutchfield is quite thorough and extremely accurate.

I agree. Those guys have got it together. You can even call a tech and they will go out of their way to answer your questions. When shopping for a new head unit for my Jeep, they actually took some measurements of various brands which their sight said would not fit (I was going to try to shoe-horn a Double Din unit in my 1.5 DIN sized dash). They also broke out the owner's manuals for various Panasonic DVD recorders to see if they automatically put in the dreaded "5 minute chapter stops" when recording content.

So if the info isn't there on their sight, call them. A sales rep will try to answer your questions.

That's what I like about you guys.........you take the extra step to try to help! :text-thankyoublue:

The analog audio output on that Samsung is a 5mm stereo jack, but is analog!

I will start to look at the Samsungs this week in my local BB and Sears stores. Our choice here in Deep South Texas is limited.

I will also research different receivers (are these receiver all 5.1 and 7.1) that will decode to a stereo signal??

Thanks again for your help! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Top left set of red and white connectors. Standard RCA, not mini.

samsung-pn50b550-connectors-back.jpg

I thought nearly every TV had analog audio outputs. If the set has a tuner (and they almost all do) than it's standard. Or so I thought.

Towen7 said:
I thought nearly every TV had analog audio outputs. If the set has a tuner (and they almost all do) than it's standard. Or so I thought.

Yeah, that's what I thought, too, until recently. Many sets now only have an digital output.

John

Zing said:
Top left set of red and white connectors. Standard RCA, not mini.

samsung-pn50b550-connectors-back.jpg

The owners manual shows MINI??? :angry-tappingfoot:

Sometimes there are changes to a model that the MFR may not think is critical like the config of the Analog Audio Outputs. When I make my choice I must do due deligents to make sure the Model IN THE BOX, has this feature. Have seen this in the past.

You're good either way as a mini to RCA adapter is pretty much pennies at your local Rat Shack.

My Panasonic only has a digital out and it's about 4 years old.

Back